• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just bought a 71 Charger... going to a 5.7 I think

70chall440

Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
So, I bought a 71 Charger last week and got a very good deal on it. I was never a huge fan of them (or subsequent years) but over time I began to warm up to them and since this one was a smoking deal, I am even more in favor of them.

It is completely disassembled but all pretty much there. It was a 318 B5 AC PB PS car originally but I intend to do something else with it; it comes with a date correct 71 383 cast crank engine but I believe I am going to go G3 Hemi with a 4 speed (A833). I don't have pictures yet but will post some later.

My intention right now is to make is a Superbee clone/tribute with a 5.7 but I am still thinking about it. I will keep it blue but probably not B5. It does have a bulge hood (which I am told is a 72 hood) but will probably put an air grabber on it. It comes with a 3.23 SG which I think will work behind the 5.7 and A833.

I need to do some research about which 5.7 I need to be looking for and what else I am going to need (specifically wiring harness and PCM).

If it were me I'd keep the 383, if you want more hp stroke it. It will be a far easier route. You'll have way less fab work to do. I'm just not a fan of the way they look under the hood. If you want some cool factor put a 6 bbl set up on it.

This,
5.9.jpg
5.8.png
or this?

If it were me I'd keep the 383, if you want more hp stroke it. It will be a far easier route. You'll have way less fab work to do. I'm just not a fan of the way they look under the hood. If you want some cool factor put a 6 bbl set up on it.
20181121_145002.jpg

What's wrong with the way they look?

Guess I'm just a old school guy.
Or maybe it's just a age thing.

Kits for the swap are getting better and better. Guys are streamlining some of these swaps down to a science...you just gotta figure out who's science you want to believe in.

Thanks for the responses. I probably should mention that fab work is not a deterrent at all, I have a very complete shop complete with mill and lathe, 2 post hoist, etc. So from that aspect I am good. As far as easy, nothing really is but I have been building and hot rodding these cars since about 74 and I am very familiar with them overall, I just feel that a G3 will work out better for me.

So, that said does anyone have any recommendations about what G3 Hemi I should be looking for; I have seen discussion on car v. truck motors, some talk about certain years as well as the VVT engines.

I completely get that but I already did a stroker in my 73 Cuda (416). I have no issues with the original motors as I am very familiar with them, but I really want to do a G3 Hemi swap and I think this is the candidate for it. I have a 68 Cuda FB that I was going to do it to but I am going to sell that car in favor of keeping this Charger (that will give me 2 Es and 2 Bs).
IMG_1818.JPG
IMG_0122.jpeg
IMG_0125.JPG
IMG_2457.JPG
IMG_0977.JPG
IMG_0333.JPG

Last edited:
I like the G3 engines. The 5.7 has some respectable balls, 400hp stock so there's that, along with the weight saving's it's hard to find much negative with this combo.

70 Challenger 440,
Nice score on the 71, and I love the idea of a 5.7!!!!!
IMO, the Holley Terminator X for like $1500, is a GREAT way to run the 5.7 engine.(control timing, fire injectors, it comes with a ecu, wires and pre-programed tunes to start with)
One other good system is the Mopar Performance 5.7 Hemi install kit.
It also has an ECU, and wires, but the ecu is preprogramed with only one "tune" (for the stock 5.7 crate Hemi) It does include the accelerator petal.

So stock, depending on year the 5.7 is 360-380HP stock. Ditch the MDS, and factory cam, go to one of the 3 new Comps Cam, and you can add 67 -100HP!!!!(with headers)

I have a 2005 Gen 3 5.7 Hemi short block, I am waiting to put in something(my 77 truck was my plan)
And I am really leaning toward the new Holley Terminator X max system, to run my project.

If you are going to run a carb, you can just get a MSD6 to fire the coils, but for me, I want the SMPI.
Here are a few articles on HUGE power gains with only cam swaps on the 5.7.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/gen-3-hemi-cam-change/

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/tech-stories/engine/hemi-horsepower-helper-100-horsepower-cam-swap/

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/homeless-hemi-5-7l-pt2-cam-swap-67hp/

The 5.7 install will get pricey very quickly, and that SUCKS, but I have been doing mine as I can afford parts.
If I had the money, I would go with a 6.4 Hemi.
The 5.7 is awesome, nothing wrong with it, at all. That being said the 6.4 is a horse of a different color!!!
The 6.4 stock is a MONSTER, 485HP 475torque, using the factory MDS cam.
Toss on headers, and a new cam (all the same stuff you would do to a 5.7 if you were gonna toss it in a 71 Charger,LOL) and I am sure she will get even more enjoyable!!!

I am gonna be watching this one!!!!
If I had a 6.4 then my #'s 383 would be out of my Charger already, LOL!
Indy sells items to hide the coils, so you can make the gen 3 look like a duel plug race gen 2 Hemi.
Best of luck!!!!!

70 Challenger 440,
Nice score on the 71, and I love the idea of a 5.7!!!!!
IMO, the Holley Terminator X for like $1500, is a GREAT way to run the 5.7 engine.(control timing, fire injectors, it comes with a ecu, wires and pre-programed tunes to start with)
One other good system is the Mopar Performance 5.7 Hemi install kit.
It also has an ECU, and wires, but the ecu is preprogramed with only one "tune" (for the stock 5.7 crate Hemi) It does include the accelerator petal.

So stock, depending on year the 5.7 is 360-380HP stock. Ditch the MDS, and factory cam, go to one of the 3 new Comps Cam, and you can add 67 -100HP!!!!(with headers)

I have a 2005 Gen 3 5.7 Hemi short block, I am waiting to put in something(my 77 truck was my plan)
And I am really leaning toward the new Holley Terminator X max system, to run my project.

If you are going to run a carb, you can just get a MSD6 to fire the coils, but for me, I want the SMPI.
Here are a few articles on HUGE power gains with only cam swaps on the 5.7.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/gen-3-hemi-cam-change/

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/tech-stories/engine/hemi-horsepower-helper-100-horsepower-cam-swap/

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/homeless-hemi-5-7l-pt2-cam-swap-67hp/

I really appreciate the advice/information. I will not be running a carb, that is certain regardless of which way I go. All of my cars are EFI (or will be in the 70 RR).

I realize that a 5.7 swap gets expensive but I am not convinced that it would be all that much more than keeping the 383 if you factor in what you get in return. Yes I know that the old school power plants work well (grew up with them) but I can say with a high degree of confidence that the new engines off more in terms of HP/weight, reliability, etc. I do not want to argue about one over the other as they both have pros and cons but in this case I really want to do the new hemi swap so that is where I am leaning.

As to the 6.1 or the 6.4 over a 5.7, I would agree that the 6.4 would be a better starting point but they run almost twice what a 5.7 can be had for and I am not looking to build massive power in this car, I want it to be super reliable and drivable and at 400 HP (or near it) I think it will be good. I do agree that any factory motor will benefit from a new cam.

70chall440, I agree with you 100% on above statement.
The 6.4 is so expensive, over the 5.7, and as far as the 6.1, they are great, but again for the price, unless you plan on running forced induction, IMO the 5.7 is the way to go.
I am gonna experiment with running the eagle heads(65cc chamber) on a non vvt short block.
The heads flow better, and I can use the 6.4 intake, or the 2009+ car intake. I am excited for you.:thumbsup:
I know some guys don't like they way they look, but you cant see that from the driver seat, LOL!!!

I think you have a great plan, and I really cant wait to hear about how you execute it!
My broke ***, would be forced to use stock K- frame with a motor mount kit, and TTI headers with a new Borgeson steering box, with adaptor so I wont have to cut column.
The only thing I have not figured out is how to use the 727 auto with out the use of throttle valve(because of throttle by wire).
A manual trans would be great, but again, because of cost, i would have to stick to automatic.

"The only thing I have not figured out is how to use the 727 auto with out the use of throttle valve(because of throttle by wire)."

It has been almost 10 years on this one, but the box to the right of the master cylinder controls the drive by wire and the kick down on the 727. Somewhere I have the instructions.
20190615_112745.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back