• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

just found serious rust on my front frame rails

I agree, I have decided to remove the engine and have the inner fender wells replaced / repaired at the same time. Luckily a good friend of mine owns a repair / body shop about 50 miles away and he is going to help me. Now I have to figure out how I'm going to get a car with no motor or front suspension to his shop. He recommended that I install the suspension just good enough to winch it on a trailer so that's the leading idea at this point.

That doesn't look that bad. Cut out the rust and weld in an new peice. That will be just as good as new. Make sure you weld to good metal. Buy yourself another rail and cut the part from that one. Once welded in and the excess welds ground down you cant even tell. The repair is rock solid. Been there done that last weekend :)

engine.jpgwhat started out as an alignment so I could get new tires and put on a few miles before the real work started turned into a complete front end rebuild (no real surprise) and I've done it before so no big deal. Then I found the rust on the frame rail, then decided to pull the engine last night so I could fix the minor rust on my inner fenders and firewall while it was at my friends welding / body shop. To summarize, an alignment turned into removing entire front clip, engine, transmission, K Frame, entire suspension and I still have to remove the AC/Heater box, Steering column, brake booster, brake lines and carpet. Goal is to be back on the road by the end of July. When finished the entire engine compartment will have a fresh coat of Torrid Red paint. Oh man, I just realized it will be difficult to put that old ugly tiered 440 back in that pretty new compartment. Stay tuned

Oh man, I just realized it will be difficult to put that old ugly tiered 440 back in that pretty new compartment. Stay tuned

And so it begins... :laughing6::icon_super:

Oh man, I just realized it will be difficult to put that old ugly tiered 440 back in that pretty new compartment. Stay tuned

LOL. This is the same kind of thing that always seems to happen to me. One thing leads to another, and another.......... Might just as well get it in your head that it won't be on the road again until the spring of 15.

On the road in August

inner1.jpginner.jpgNoooooooo, on the road in August and already making progress. Someone tried the old J.B. Weld trick on the drivers side so the inner needs replaced. I think the passenger one can be salvaged

Haha I know your pain. I started out planning to freshen things up and drive it around while I fixed things...so I thought...started with the torsion bar x-member and floor pan, then found i needed to pull the engine and trans, found that the brakes needed repaired...rear suspension was hung from rust etc etc...pretty soon I had the whole front end apart, grill, bumpers, interior torn out, rear frame rails out, repairing trunk rot.....3 years later....bam here we are and I still need to put on the bumpers, trim, lights, do some wiring, interior work....I said it was going to be drivable last may HAHAHA...I hope you can keep the list shorter than I could!

On the road in August! that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

OhMyDamn!!

Some of you have way more gumption than I ever would...I thank all of you that have taken on the task of saving these cars....wow!

Good on ya!

And the fun never stops

Starting to make progress, new cowling and inner side hinge panel from AMD and a good set of rockers from the donor car. My kids didn't want any inheritance anyway. good thing the back of the car in solidmoney.jpgphoto 3 (4).jpgphoto 4 (2).jpg

Just so you know AMD does not make cowls and hinge jams for 71-4 B-body. E body is different. The do make non-a/c fire wall but not a/c fire wall.

You guy's make me feel good! Even thow my junk came with NO floor pans my frame rails are in good shape. Best of luck on your repairs.

and the fun continues

I think we have turned the corner. What started an a simple front end alignment in late June turned into a very interesting project. Having fun and learning a lot, took these tonight,11-14-14-2.jpg11-14-14.jpg11-14-14-3.jpg

Just so you know AMD does not make cowls and hinge jams for 71-4 B-body. E body is different. The do make non-a/c fire wall but not a/c fire wall.

Sorry I must have been having a bad night. They do make the A/C firewall which is the same as E-body. They don't make the non-A/C wall which is different than E-body.

MoparMarks, Thanks for the 72 Frame Shields, they fit like a glove. really nice pieces

It's wasn't a car, it was a sculpture ...........a big Torrid Red bondo sculpture

Well, we have now moved to the read quarters and found just a little bit of bondo. It appears that it wasn't even a car.......it was a sculpture.....a big heave Torrid Red frickin sculpture.....IMG_1837.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back