• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice is Served

Bruzilla

Local time
10:43 PM
Reaction score
I was just contacted by the Assistant State's Attorney (ASA) who's been prosecuting the low-life shop owner who thought he could rip me off, and was informed the low-life has pled guilty to a second degree felony of Schemes to Defraud, and will get between five and 15 years in the gray bar. He also has to return all my parts, and pay an additional $2,300 or so in restitution.

I spent a couple of hours with my ASA yesterday discussing the case and ramping him up for a trial, and he told me that the low-life's lawyer had told him he could beat the cases brought up by the other ten or so victims, but he was afraid he couldn't beat mine. That was because I had maintained a log of every contact we had, every discussion that was had, what was agreed to, dates, locations, the works. My ASA asked me why I had done that, and I told him I had learned over the years that during long-term efforts like this, it always starts out with a work order that states the vendor will do this and that, and the cost will be "X". Then a month or so later, something goes awry, and there's a call or meeting where a subsequent agreement is made, but that agreement rarely ever makes it back to the work order. It becomes a series of verbal contracts, and you have to be able to document those contracts. He told me that was the best case of documenting he had ever seen.

Another issue he had was he's not a car guy, and low life's lawyer kept trying to make arguments that these should all be civil cases and the ASA said he didn't know how to communicate this was a criminal case to the jury. I asked him if he was married, and he said yes. I then said imagine you decided to give your wife a nice anniversary gift of getting her engagement ring cleaned up, the stone remounted, etc. So you go to a jeweler, and he takes the diamond out and accidentally drops it and loses it. Then he tells you since it was an accident, he won't pay for a replacement. That would be a civil case. He agreed.

Then I said imagine the jeweler looked at your ring and said "that's a nice diamond! I know a guy who will give me $2,000 for that stone." So he sells her diamond to his guy, then puts a $3 cubic zirconia of the same cut and size into the ring, and gives it back to you because he figures you can't tell the difference. And when you do, he tries to convince you the ring had a cubic zirconia when you brought it in. That is a criminal case, and that's what he did. My ASA looked at me and said "that I can sell!" and typed out everything I had told him.

So lessons learned...

1. Document everything you say or do with a vendor. If you want a copy of my log, IM me your email and I'll send you a copy in Word.
2. If you have a Smart Phone (and who doesn't these days), use the Record ap and record every meeting you have. Be sure to state that you're recording at least once and use those recordings to make your written notes. The low life tried to say I never told him I was recording him, but the ASA found numerous instances where I said "I have you on tape saying...", so that lie died a quick death.
3. Don't waste time talking to cops. Contact your State's Attorney Office and start a criminal case through them. Be sure to see if they have a Business or Economic Crimes Unit that specializes in these cases.
4. DO NOT trust the Better Business Bureau! We're still looking into how at least three complaints that were registered about this guy were deleted from their database.
5. Take a high-res photo of the raised pad or inspection markings on your engine. This was a critical element of my case. Lots of blocks have the same casting number, lots have the same casting date, but those inspection marks are as unique as fingerprints.

Good job...I hate getting it in the a$$........

I pray you see the $2,300..........right now I have a few "awards" out there...the most recent 5K..we can not find her..
Just keep track of where he lives, works, banks, prays & next of kin lives..lol

Good point Sonny! I've got a few that I've "won" over the years........ still waiting......

BTW... The BBB is about paying the dues.....

Good for you, it's about time too...
I hope you get what you expect to get too...
I hope you learned a valuable lesson now too...
Cautionary tale for damn sure...

I wouldn't wish that type of crap on anyone,
well almost anyone...LOL

Good job Bru, and thanks for the info. I've gotta give you credit, a lot of guys wouldn't spend the time and energy to take down a sh*tbag like this guy. It's too damn bad that there are low life a**holes like this guy trying to screw people out of their hard earned money. I hope there's a special place in hell for this guy.

Damn.... good job.... do not want to get on your bad side..... nice job getting him hammered so he can't do this to another for a good while thank you !

I hate getting it in the a$$........
This should Help that problem.

bar-of-soap-with-rope.jpg

That's great news, I mean, of course it sucks you had to deal with that bullshit in the first place, but at least you have the satisfaction of knowing he won't be burning anyone else due to your substantial efforts.

Well done Sir.

this was probably one of the best posts ive read in a while.
Congrats Bru,you truly Earned this one.

and ty,because you know you just saved more people from getting taken in by that guy.
" he told me that the low-life's lawyer had told him he could beat the cases brought up by the other ten or so victims, but he was afraid he couldn't beat mine."
the other ten or so victims.....howd they make out?

Good job...I hate getting it in the a$$........

I pray you see the $2,300..........right now I have a few "awards" out there...the most recent 5K..we can not find her..
Just keep track of where he lives, works, banks, prays & next of kin lives..lol
This guy actually had three civil judgements against him already, and he just ignored them. The nice thing about restitution is unlike civil judgement, it's tied to probation or parole. If I report him for not paying, he goes right back to jail. That's a powerful incentive to pay up that civil case judgements don't have.

Good for you, it's about time too...
I hope you get what you expect to get too...
I hope you learned a valuable lesson now too...
Cautionary tale for damn sure...
The BIG lesson I learned was about the BBB. I always thought they were a great reference and now I know they are worthless.

Wow Bruzilla,
Good news...finally a resolution.

Gee, it took a while but at least you get the last laugh.
Golly, that was a couple of years ago if I recall.

Auto Transport Service
Back