• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key stuck in ignition switch

mopardug

Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score
I went back over a year and didn't notice any questions about this problem. I have a '76 Charger Daytona and the key is normally in the 'Run' position, but it will go to the 'Start' and she'll start. But the key won't turn back any further. She has tilt, cruise, and an automatic on the floor. 400-4BBL. The turn signal/cruise lever is broken, and is hanging on by a screw. I took off the steering wheel and collar, but there's a round disc with slots around it that I can't figure out how to remove it. I appreciate any and all help.

20170215_073439.jpg 20170215_073431.jpg

My real questions are how to get the key out and replace the turn signal lever.

The round disc with the slots need to be depressed so you can remove the snap ring. There is a special tool you need to press it down. You might be able to find it at and Autozone or some place like that. After that's removed you'll be able to see how the turn signal switch comes out. It been a while since I've changed a key switch but I believe there is a button that needs to be press when you turn the key to the on position.

The "round disc with slots in it" is what locks your steering wheel when the key is removed. There should be a small sleeve around the shaft just above it. Slide that sleeve up & you'll be able to see a pin. LIGHTLY tap that pin out with a punch & the ring disc with slots will come off.

Behind that, you'll see a single screw for the turn signal lever.

for the switch not turning to off check the park linkage. I think there is linkage in place to prevent the switch going to off position without the trans in the park position.

The "round disc with slots in it" is what locks your steering wheel when the key is removed. There should be a small sleeve around the shaft just above it. Slide that sleeve up & you'll be able to see a pin. LIGHTLY tap that pin out with a punch & the ring disc with slots will come off.

Behind that, you'll see a single screw for the turn signal lever.

I thought on cars with tilt steering the plate that locked the column need to be depressed? Is it different on the older mopars with tilt? I have only worked on newer cars with tilt.

for the switch not turning to off check the park linkage. I think there is linkage in place to prevent the switch going to off position without the trans in the park position.

I don't have a tilt wheel or automatic, but I think I have a linkage that does that. When my key gets stuck, I reach down low on the column, and twist this ring to allow the key to be released.

Thanks for all of the information. I'll look at her over the weekend.

I thought on cars with tilt steering the plate that locked the column need to be depressed? Is it different on the older mopars with tilt? I have only worked on newer cars with tilt.

You might be right??? I forgot you had tilt and I know there are some parts differences.

Auto Transport Service
Back