• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lakewood Bellhousing Info

You guys are getting me to thinking that maybe I should be keeping this thing. Didn't realize so many of you were running them on street cars....
Mine went on the Bee in 1979 Joel, the week after my then GF's brother lost his right foot in his '66 GTO. I'm a tad skiddish of my new car without one..
Another alternative to a scatter shield is to weld 3/16" steel to the 'critical' areas of the floor boards for human protection. It won't be track legal but for the guys that don't want to bother with a scatter shield and don't go to the track, it's a pretty good alternative.

So I am curious. Why was this thread moved from a "For Sale" to a "Need Information". I never asked anyone to change the wording of my title......

I have one of these tossed in the shed...... maybe I should dig it out

So I am curious. Why was this thread moved from a "For Sale" to a "Need Information". I never asked anyone to change the wording of my title......
Think it's mostly my fault by bring up that clamping device. Sorry about that. Think my shield is older than I thought. I googled LW shields and there was a change at some point. Yours doesn't need that piece.

Because it turned into a tech/information gathering thread......?

For the restoration crowd who like to drive their cars. Would a billet flywheel serve the same? My X has a Lakewood but would rather not modify the road runner.

My recollection is that this piece is only used when running the 130T flywheel.

D54B80A8-3DBA-4A05-81B9-D909BF6EE939.png

For the restoration crowd who like to drive their cars. Would a billet flywheel serve the same? My X has a Lakewood but would rather not modify the road runner.
Well, it's not always the flywheel that gives up the ghost.....

We have one of those bellhousings for the dyno.
I seem to recall that when using the 143T flywheel the starter bolts up fine.

Just an FYI, when I changed to a Hays billet flywheel, I had to add a spacer to fork pivot bracket to make up for thinner flywheel thickness. NOT an easy job installed in car with big tube headers !!! Best to measure and do it at install. My understanding is that Centerforce billet flywheel ($$) would not need this mod.

Thanks for that tidbit of info, since I have a Hays clutch and billet flywheel that will be installed some day.
I’ll check the difference in height from the crank flange to clutch mounting surface between the stock flywheel and the new Hays piece, and shim the pivot accordingly.

Yes that small bracket is only used when using a 130 tooth flywheel not needed for the 143 tooth. Stanton brought up a good point about shimming the fork pivot out the thickness of the block saver plate I have ran mine without doing so but wonder if it would make a huge difference if the pivot bracket was shimmed out?

And if you guys don’t mind while we’re on the subject of clutch forks how does one check the plate departure when using a scatter shield and checking that a diaphragm pressure plate is not going over center when the clutch pedal is to the floor?

or just build your own bellhousing from steel and not worry about losing your feet!BB to ZF
IMG_0239.jpg

@padam so you're saying the flywheel is always the culpitt? You've never seen a clutch failure with a flywheel still intact?

Who knows where it starts, but any failure I ever heard of did not leave the flywheel intact !!
Seen a couple of photos where the clutch came apart and left the flywheel in one piece....damaged and not usable anymore but still in one piece. A stock flywheel on the other hand, yeah....it's going to come apart if the clutch fails.

Kinda like a billet front drum in a 727. It’ll save you some pain. I’ve had a front drum failure. It’s like an IED under the car.

@padam so you're saying the flywheel is always the culpitt? You've never seen a clutch failure with a flywheel still intact?
Sorry Cranky, fat fingered it.
I was wondering who disagreed lol.

No but I do think the flywheel is more dangerous. Not sure if the clutch only will come through a factory bellhousing.

Auto Transport Service
Back