• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lares 11033 PS gear issues ?

I second the nomination!
Steer and Gear
I have had very good dealings with them
The current steering gear in my charger is the "Modern Feel"
and I am very happy with it

I second the nomination!
Steer and Gear
I have had very good dealings with them
The current steering gear in my charger is the "Modern Feel"
and I am very happy with it
Is that the “firmest” or in the middle ? I hear they have 3 stages available . Thanks for the input !

You should check the coupler as well.
Just hold the coupler and grab the steering shaft with the other hand and see if there is movement within the coupler.
I just checked the coupler “pot”, I feel VERY little play, maybe 5 thou. Barely perceptible . Can hear the shoes in the pot move. Likely needs more grease. I’ll change it out for new when I do the box.

If they are not loose then just clean it and put some wheel bearing grease in there.
The original parts are good quality.
You can get a new seal for the cover but the cover is very tricky to get swaged back on and have it stay.
There is a wire retaining clip you can find to help keep the cover on.
You might want to locate and purchase one of those.

I'm happy with my Steer n' Gear box in my 69. They are usually at Carlisle, where I picked up mine.

I'm happy with my Steer n' Gear box in my 69. They are usually at Carlisle, where I picked up mine.
Thanks ! Wish I could wait for Carlisle or the Nationals in Columbus, but I need to fix it this winter. Shipping should be $30-40 one way.

Thanks ! Wish I could wait for Carlisle or the Nationals in Columbus, but I need to fix it this winter. Shipping should be $30-40 one way.

I am curious as to what you decided to do? I am also debating between the Lares 11033 box and a re-man from Steer and Gear.

I am curious as to what you decided to do? I am also debating between the Lares 11033 box and a re-man from Steer and Gear.
I put in a Borgeson box and related parts from Bergman Autocraft. He is a vendor listed on here. His customer service is excellent. The steering is very similar to a late model. NO play at all. I found out my Moog idler arm from 20 years ago has slop ! Got to change it to a roller bearing from firm feel or Bergman. The Bergman kit is more $, but I feel worth it !!!

I put in a Borgeson box and related parts from Bergman Autocraft. He is a vendor listed on here. His customer service is excellent. The steering is very similar to a late model. NO play at all. I found out my Moog idler arm from 20 years ago has slop ! Got to change it to a roller bearing from firm feel or Bergman. The Bergman kit is more $, but I feel worth it !!!
Resurrecting an older thread. I don't have any experience with the Lares box. Information about it is somewhat limited. The OE boxes that are made harder to turn have been around for some time. However, worn out cases, slow ratio and poor on center feel make them an option, but not the first option in my opinion. The Borgeson box is faster ratio, lighter and less leak prone, but most noticeable is the on center feel and reaction. This, coupled with a faster gear ratio make it next level compared to OE boxes.

Auto Transport Service
Back