• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Laser Welded

beebest

Local time
1:48 PM
Reaction score
Perk of working in a mold shop. We lease part of our shop to a company that does Laser welding, Phoenix Laser Solutions. My stainless window edge had a hair line crack in it, had them fix it for me. Weld bead is only .060 wide, trim in this area is only .030 thick. Came out perfect with no distortion. I just need to dress it off and polish. They color match weld as well.

laser welded.jpg

Do you know what type of laser welder they used CO2, LED? 440'

What I found out, 600 watt laser welder runs off of 480 volt power uses argon. Welded my part using .015 diameter 410 stainless wire. They have wire as small as .005. Machine cost is about 400K.

20210326_075404.jpg 20210326_075517.jpg 20210326_075537.jpg

Most likely a 1064nm. Probably a fiber laser but could be an older YAG too. CO2 would do it of course but with the free space optics, alignment would be a nuisance in setup.

Looks like a fiber laser, there using an argon shield gas and wire feed. Cool stuff! I'm familiar with this type of welding. When I seen the picture you posted, I figured they used wire on that weld due to the bead height. We do alot of projection welding at work. We have CO2 laser, fiber, and e-beam welders. Cool stuff! 440'

Always fun to see this stuff. I make lasers for a living. Used to make laser cutting and welding machines.

Auto Transport Service
Back