• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Last national event for Heartland Park Topeka

Curiousyellow71

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:45 PM
Reaction score
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...l&id=100064621397028&sfnsn=mo&mibextid=6aamW6

This really stinks. Such a nice facility. Last national event in a few weeks. Doesn't say when the track is going to close but likely inevitable. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I have this picture of our old Cuda at Topeka . I was driving that day.

Resized_20220320_112608.jpeg

View attachment 1501743

Screenshot_20230729_214646_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
****, Topeka, Heartland Park is going away now too

I can't hardly read that letter it's print is so damn small
have to get on my pc, some of the letter is cut off too...

I did see something about $1,500 'a day' tax liability
that's nucken' futs
Maybe the owner (or people running it) needs to be educated more,
something is wrong
something needs/has to be done, that tax liability is crazy
you'd think the county would want to keep it too, educate them
work with them
(unless the fix is in, someone wants that property, dirty deals bs)
something about not filing a proper, tax appeal :blah:

$500,000+ property tax annually, even without it
according to Shelby Development LLC

(I don't think it's assoc. with Shelby American)

anyway

usually when they lose the bigger events & bigger sanctioning bodies
like the NHRA, pull the plug
the writing is already on the wall

from the comments on that site, seems like they think it's done too

Racetrack Topeka Heartland Park Topeka Ks raceway NHRA pulling the plug & 500k taxes.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...l&id=100064621397028&sfnsn=mo&mibextid=6aamW6

This really stinks. Such a nice facility. Last national event in a few weeks. Doesn't say when the track is going to close but likely inevitable.
I have this picture of our old Cuda at Topeka . I was driving.:rolleyes:

View attachment 1501740

View attachment 1501743

Last edited:
It's next to a big air base too. No high end housing is going to ever want to be there. I thought it would always be there.:mad:

I did the best I could on copying the small print...the link is likely better. It's right off Heartlands page... but it's Fb:BangHead:

Last edited:
500,000 in property tax! Holy cow! County assessor must work for the mob! I would sure think that community is going to notice when that’s tracks gone and that $500,000 goes bye bye to, I bet $500K is a tiny impact compared to the money that track brings to Topeka.

I hope they can moves these tracks somewhere else. 500k…Screw that county government!

I just read that they are building a new track in Odessa, MO, just east of Kansas city, that is replacing the Topeka track, and is scheduled for a national event next year. What a big blow to Kansas. Just Stupid.

They need to go 501c3 if they can. A drag strip can't be a huge money maker. Only so many runs can be made in a day. Then somebody explodes their **** all over the track.
Stupid counties spend money to "lure" new businesses in with free taxes for x number of years, yet here is a concern that has been paying taxes for 50 years, but can't get the same deal as the new guy.

No tracks
No cruises
No street racing
I guess car shows and swaps are next.

It's next to a big air base too. No high end housing is going to ever want to be there. I thought it would always be there.:mad:

I did the best I could on copying the small print...the link is likely better. It's right off Heartlands page... but it's Fb:BangHead:
Wonder if the air base is wanting the land for some reason?

Wonder if the air base is wanting the land for some reason?
Could be? They had been in financial trouble before, but the management running it really stepped things up, really improved the facility. There is a lot of ground including a pretty good sized road course and they had a annual country music festival that brought in a lot of people. I think 175,000 attended, they started that in 96.
This video is a challenger going around the 2.1 mile road course. It runs right up to the drag strip at one point. It really WAS a nice facility...crazy.

Last edited:
Well that sucks, Topeka is one of the couple (big ) name tracks close to me.
Didnt get there every year but the summer Nats was a great time.
will have to find out more about the Odessa MO. Track.

Been following Topeka news. They say the track isn't closing and they are putting out a schedule for '24. But we all know its no different then going to work one day and having no job the next. Sadly it could end that quick. I also read the NHRA wanted them to repave the track to keep the event. It financially was not going to work to repave while they had the enormous property tax bill. The guy that owns the track paid 2.5 million for it in the late 90s. The county assessor has it valued in '23 at 10 million!

Regardless I had a great time at the national event a few weeks ago. For my wife and I it was our anniversary celebration. She was a good sport It was HOT got up past 100 on friday. But a still a fun time! Pictures were from Friday night..the crowd was a bit sparce. But Saturday it was busy there was 3 times as many people. Sad that these are likely some of my last pictures of a big event at Topeka.

20230811_195514.jpg

20230812_151400.jpg

20230811_203516.jpg

Last edited:
Been following Topeka news. They say the track isn't closing and they are putting out a schedule for '24. But we all know its no different then going to work one day and having no job the next. Sadly it could end that quick. I also read the NHRA wanted them to repave the track to keep the event. It financially was not going to work to repave while they had the enormous property tax bill. The guy that own the track paid 2.5 million for it in the late 90s. The county assessor has it valued in '23 at 10 million!

Regardless I had a great time at the national event a few weeks ago. For my wife and I it was our anniversary celebration. She was a good sport It was HOT got up past 100 on friday. But a still a fun time! Pictures were from Friday night. Crowd was a bit space. Saturday there was 3 times as many people.

View attachment 1514518

View attachment 1514519

View attachment 1514520
Atco had the all the events scheduled for the weekend… and just closed shop overnight. It happened that fast.

I hope they can find a solution to keep it open, as it's wonderful to have such nice facilities available. Your old Cuda at Topeka must have made for an incredible and unforgettable day. Actually, I'm thinking of arranging the same event. My friends even recommended that I reach out to Downtown LA Event Production Services | Samson S&L for that. Anyway, guys, what about you? How's it going now?

THATS ALL Folks for Heartland Park:cursin:
Not shocked...but still really, really stinks.

Screenshot_20230918_191947_Facebook.jpg

Been in the making for some time. The cities cash cow died. This is just away to dispose of it.
Don't be to surprised if another cash cow soon develops.

On the bright side
we have a new facility just out side of Oak Grove Mo. It received its NHRA certificate just last month.

Auto Transport Service
Back