• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Later model help needed. High mile Ram can't hold it's water!

For just a few bucks, getting a new one might be worth it.

At this point, the only thing a truck with 360,000 miles on it can do for me, is take me to a new one.

At this point, the only thing a truck with 360,000 miles on it can do for me, is take me to a new one.
This is all relative. Out here, vehicles last a LOT longer. Mild weather just puts less stress on everything.
The problem turned out to be the water pump gasket! I replaced the pump and gasket and there has been no coolant loss since.
The dealer wanted $414 for a water pump so I bought one from an O'Rielley for $120. It was a fairly easy job.
It is hard to just walk away from a reliable truck that is paid for and still in good condition. Seriously, if you didn't look at the odometer, you'd never guess the mileage it has.
My next move?
I bought a 3.92 SG axle from a junker at a self serve yard. I just made an appointment with my axle guy. The stock 3.55s are coming out and 3.92s are going in. I do expect some loss in fuel economy but so what? It will be more peppy to drive. That is more important to me.

A383/440 water pump and as you know you can install it with a couple wrenches.
Screenshot_20220114-175541.png

Not on the 5.7, that bad boy has 13 bolts that you have to be remove. Ask me how I know. Mine started leaking because the o ring type gasket they use went bad. At only 20,000 miles. I was told that happened from sitting and not circulating the coolant. I start it up monthly now.

Auto Transport Service
Back