• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf spring mounting question

jwtdvm

Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
This may seem like a no brainer question but here goes---when I dissasembled the charger I took the leaf springs apart--blasted/powdercoated and reassembled---I took care to mark LEFT vs RIGHT pieces---Reassembled got it all back under the car---the left spring causes the rear shackle to swing way forward and the leaf spring actually rests on the unibody--The right spring looks normal to me.--there is not a left and right spring is there?? Body mount locations for springs different left to right--this was a running/driving car--no serious collisions--what am I missing here???

I have bean there,put your shocks on ,lower the car,it should move back to normal position,if not jack it up again,get a long pry bar and move the shackle reward.like i said bean there,when it first happened to me i thought WTF just happened.

According to the parts book, Hemi and 440 have a left and right spring, the rest are same both sides. I am guessing one side would be a bit more HD.

If I remember correctly from 3 years ago, I replaced my springs and it was recommended that you should put it all together w/shocks tightening only the U bolts on the axle and shocks as recommended BUT, don't tighten the front spring bolts and rear shackle bolts unit the weight of the car is on the suspension then tighten everything as recommended.

For the record Chrysler used odd part numbers for the left side items.
And even numbers for the right side items.
(Your OE spring's main leaf will have a part number)
Of course, parts that were not side specific had a common number.

If I remember correctly from 3 years ago, I replaced my springs and it was recommended that you should put it all together w/shocks tightening only the U bolts on the axle and shocks as recommended BUT, don't tighten the front spring bolts and rear shackle bolts unit the weight of the car is on the suspension then tighten everything as recommended.
That is a good suggestion-I really cant remember how I did that--but could be a bind in the setup is some of my problem

Auto Transport Service
Back