• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf springs

rww124

Local time
6:57 AM
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has ever had any problems with their leaf spring flipping up side down as your back tires start to contact the floor when being lowered from a hoist. My Super Bee has 5 leaf springs on the left and 6 on the right. The Dana has been narrowed a bit to accommodate the disc brake conversion. If you place a 4x4 block of wood between the body/frame and the shackle everything is fine however without the block is when the spring will flip where you have to take a bar and flip it back to proper position.

They do. They can and they will. May be.

Well they certainly can't flip upside down, but the rear shackle can flip forward with a fresh unloaded spring.

Well they certainly can't flip upside down, but the rear shackle can flip forward with a fresh unloaded spring.
I have not seen it happen but only told about it by my Cousin so I probably described what was happening wrong. Why would the shackle even flip forward as you would think Mopar would have designed the rear suspension better. I've never had this happen with my 69 Camaro. Is this commonplace with all Mopar suspension as if you were to take your car in for service I'm sure 90%+ mechanics wouldn't know what to do. Whenever you have to use the metal bar to correct the spring it scratches the underside of the car and you have to be careful you don't scratch the body of the car as well. My cousin did come across a pair of hardened rubber blocks that he is going to attach to the frame above the rear eyebolt of the shackle. If you ever had a flat tire and had to use the bumper jack you better have a piece of 4x4 in your trunk.

Is it happy hour already somewhere???

All this talk of clever cousins with brilliant ideas is making me nervous to drive the same roads as some of you guys. :rolleyes:

I can't picture what you are saying. Can you post some pictures of what is happening.

See post #11 1965 dart gt spring question And who knows what spring length was used. It sounds like some modifications were done.
When I told my friend about this he asked if both left and right leaf springs were the same length and advised to measure each side from center of eyebolt front to back. He also asked if the car had offset shackles with the diff. being narrowed a bit to accommodate the disc brake conversion. I have passed this onto my Cousin however if the springs are of different length the fix that seems to work is placing a piece of 4x4 between the body/frame and the eyebolt.

I can't picture what you are saying. Can you post some pictures of what is happening.
Sorry but no pictures available however I can post a picture of the solution.
1699591640872.jpeg

Is it happy hour already somewhere???

All this talk of clever cousins with brilliant ideas is making me nervous to drive the same roads as some of you guys. :rolleyes:
If my Cousin's solution solves the problem without making the car unsafe to drive I don't see what your problem is.

Are you sure you got the right springs. Possibly super stock springs without the correct front hanger

Are you sure you got the right springs. Possibly super stock springs without the correct front hanger
I was told the guy who built the car installed Super Stock Springs however nothing about a hanger was mentioned, but why just the right spring doing this and not the left. I guess the seller wanted to point out only the flashy things the car had.

Wow you red x me too. You made it sound like both springs. Now just one. All I can say is if you have super stock springs you need the longer front hangers.

Wow you red x me too. You made it sound like both springs. Now just one. All I can say is if you have super stock springs you need the longer front hangers.
I'm sorry for the confusion and do appreciate everyone's input however in the first sentence of my thread on this subject I did use the singular word spring. And I am too green on this site to even know how to red x someone.

No problem, there is a little red x on the bottom, you must have pressed it accidently. When you do it means you disagree. Super stock springs are shorter. So you need a longer front hanger. I don't know why only one side. Are both front hangers the same size

No problem, there is a little red x on the bottom, you must have pressed it accidently. When you do it means you disagree. Super stock springs are shorter. So you need a longer front hanger. I don't know why only one side. Are both front hangers the same size
I would have to ask my Cousin to measure both hangers and let him know that the front hangers for Super Stock Springs are two inches longer than non Super Stock Spring hangers and you are correct, with the Red x being just below the reply I may have accidentally hit it. The B bodies site should move the agree/disagree buttons to the far left so these mistakes don't happen.

I would have to ask my Cousin to measure both hangers and let him know that the front hangers for Super Stock Springs are two inches longer than non Super Stock Spring hangers and you are correct, with the Red x being just below the reply I may have accidentally hit it. The B bodies site should move the agree/disagree buttons to the far left so these mistakes don't happen.
I forgot to ask. I don't know if my Cousin knows and I certainly don't know how long a Super Stock Spring hanger is or how long a regular hanger is. If you happen to know the length of both it would be appreciated if you could share this information with me. Thank you.

I got it twice. I must be special. :rofl:

You must be using a cell phone. There is no good place to put them that won't be in the way. There's a lot going on in a small screen. If you are right handed you might catch them as you scroll. You can go back and edit them or delete them which you should do. .

Auto Transport Service
Back