• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf springs

Sounds like the springs are too short
From what some other members have said the Super Stock springs are shorter thus requiring front hangers that are two inches longer than stock.

The stock dodge hangers are about 3 1/4" to the center of the bolt hole. The plymouth hangers will be 1" less. The stock springs have a 22" front segment, and a 36" rear. Most super stock springs have a 20" front segment. E body springs have a 22" front and a 35" rear. Start measuring.
Just got some measurements back from my Cousin. The front leaf hangers are 5 1/4 inches from front of block to the center of hole. When the car was on the hoist with the weight of the rims and tires stretching the springs out the measurement was 57 1/2 inches and the left spring was 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter than the right and my Cousin thinks this is due to the right leaf spring having two extra leafs. He said he did short measurements and everything was cemetrical. With the car sitting on the floor and the springs relaxed they measured approximately 65 1/2 on the left side and approximately 65 3/4 on the right side.

Wrong Springs or incorrect hanger?
Shackle should lean backwards if spring
length and front hanger length is correct!
Was reading up on the leaf springs and in one article I read it said if the shackles are straight up and down that is acceptable and leaning backward a bit is ideal. I have posted the leaf and shackle measurements in a reply to another member. I very much appreciate everyone's input on this situation.

If it's the right spring doing this it may have more arch. Think you need longer front perches as others have said.
I don't know if having the two extra leafs on the right spring is the cause of this or if Super Stock springs are supposed to to have more arch however the front hangers measured in at approximately 5 1/4 inches from block to center of bolt hole.

I don't know if having the two extra leafs on the right spring is the cause of this or if Super Stock springs are supposed to to have more arch however the front hangers measured in at approximately 5 1/4 inches from block to center of bolt hole.
That's what mine measured in at.

It's like blinker fluid but for shackles. And you might need a left handed screw driver to open the reservoir.
:lol:

Wrong Springs or incorrect hanger?
Shackle should lean backwards if spring
length and front hanger length is correct!
The first image is of my right shackle and the second my left. The right shackle The right shackle arrears to be leaning slightly more to the back of the car than the left.rsto be
1699827798987.jpeg

1699827855055.jpeg

Using the chart, a stock spring for the Bee is 58 inches. A SS spring is 56”.
View attachment 1556101
With the measurements my Cousin gave me my leaf springs are in between the length of a stock spring and a super stock spring. Besides the length of the spring are there any numbers or other identifiers that will tell you if your leaf springs are stock or super stock?

There is a part number stamped on the spring. Google the number to determine the spring.
For example, P3690457 is the left side super stock spring for a 3400# car. The right side super stock spring is P3690456.

IMG_1881.jpeg

Last edited:
There is a part number stamped on the spring. Google the number to determine the spring.
For example, P3690457 is the left side spring for a 3400# car. The right side spring is P3690456.
View attachment 1556178
Per Google search my 440/6 Super Bee curb weight is 3845 pounds so don't know how exact you have to be when ordering springs (example 3800 or 3900 pounds). From your picture example the part number is stamped into the shortest bottom leaf. Do only Super Stock leaf spring part numbers start with a P in front of them?

Part number is stamped on the bottom leaf just behind the diff.
Use a 3800# spring; there is no 3900# spring.
P indicates a Mopar Performance part.
Check the part numbers on your springs to determine what springs you have.
Super stock springs have a shorter front section which requires a different from front spring hanger bracket.

Part number is stamped on the bottom leaf just behind the diff.
Use a 3800# spring; there is no 3900# spring.
Check the part numbers on your springs to determine what springs you have.
P meaning Super Stock?

The prefix “P” indicates a Mopar Performance part number.

Last edited:
O.K. I will assume a Mopar Performance part would indicate the spring is a super stock rather than a stock spring if the part number starts with a P.

Auto Transport Service
Back