• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

leaking radiator.

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:13 PM
Reaction score
So. I bought a 26 rad. for the runner from Roseville two years ago the car only has 4000 miles since restore. Now the bottom tank has a crack in it and another spot leaking. There are no more radiator shops around that fix them. I am sick of the junk we are being sold. There is no warranty on it after reading my sales slip. Looking into an aluminum one now. The only one I see that is a 26 inch one is sold by Classic industries. Two core and put out by company called swamp cooler made in Usa. Has anyone bought one or have one. Looked into cold case rad's but they don't have a 26 inch. Any thoughts or response is appreciated. Do not want electric fans want to use the motor driven fan as it is. Thanks.

I would fix your brass rad. there is still a few places that fix that stuff but it will need to be shipped. I havent seen many aluminum rads I like . They are too small. 2 rows are not enough. If you dont believe me buy one and see.

Last edited:
My aluminum radiator from Cold Csae works fine here in S Carolina

20230717_195805.jpg

I would fix your brass rad. there is still a few places that fix that stuff but it will need to be shipped. I havent seen many aluminum rads I like . The are too small. 2 rows are not enough. If you dont believe me buy one and see.
I just had the original 26" in my GTX re-cored by a local shop, and it works great. Might be worth the shipping charge, no question the original stuff is effective when in proper shape.

How big is the crack? You could do it yourself, nothing to lose. Might want to put a scab piece of brass over crack. Don't go crazy with heat. Small hole at end of crack. Had a radiator 3 tubes hit by fan, just nicked. Cleaned around the nicks soldered them shut, 3000mi ago.

I just had the original 26" in my GTX re-cored by a local shop, and it works great. Might be worth the shipping charge, no question the original stuff is effective when in proper shape.
Totally agree. The radiator I fixed was a 948 for my car, original stolen. You look at fins that go back forth originals go in S pattern and think I saw small scoops. Recore I had were just zig zag, less metal.

So. I bought a 26 rad. for the runner from Roseville two years ago the car only has 4000 miles since restore. Now the bottom tank has a crack in it and another spot leaking. There are no more radiator shops around that fix them. I am sick of the junk we are being sold. There is no warranty on it after reading my sales slip. Looking into an aluminum one now. The only one I see that is a 26 inch one is sold by Classic industries. Two core and put out by company called swamp cooler made in Usa. Has anyone bought one or have one. Looked into cold case rad's but they don't have a 26 inch. Any thoughts or response is appreciated. Do not want electric fans want to use the motor driven fan as it is. Thanks.
Spend the big bucks on a Glen-RAY radiator 26" max cooling core unit.....it's guaranteed for as long as you own the car. Google Glen-RAY. I bought the numbers matching radiator, # 2998956 for my RS23V0A****** GTX......it fits and functions very well......185°F coolant temperature with 110°F ambient at highway and cruise speed.......fyi....~ $ 1400 incl shipping.....its definitely worth the price
BOB RENTON

Spend the big bucks on a Glen-RAY radiator 26" max cooling core unit.....it's guaranteed for as long as you own the car. Google Glen-RAY. I bought the numbers matching radiator, # 2998956 for my RS23V0A****** GTX......it fits and functions very well......185°F coolant temperature with 110°F ambient at highway and cruise speed.......fyi....~ $ 1400 incl shipping.....its definitely worth the price
BOB RENTON
This was my plan if I couldn't get the local shop to do it. I was out the door for $800, and the shop pulled and reinstalled the radiator. I got lucky.

I’m in Alaska and sent my original out to Glen-Ray. Personalized service and cools perfectly. I would not hesitate to send it out again. Factory originality and superb service.

BOB RENTON

I can second this. Very happy with my glen ray radiator. :)

Crack in the bottom tank? Are you running the car hard and getting some flex in the chassis? Just thinking out loud....maybe see if you can put some type of rubber isolators in there somehow???

That’s the real question - why the cracks? Old tank, flexing chassis, or no corrosion inhibitors- something is the cause.

I put a Wizard 26" radiator fits perfectly in the stock location in my car, with perfectly fit stock shroud, used a short hayden clutch with a stock fan. Fits great, cools great.

Maybe try Griffin radiator

One time, and Done. Bob at Glen-ray will either fix Your's, or replace it to original, or add the extra cooling capacity rows.

1226191356.jpg

Plenty of room nothing is hitting there. Was running coolant with corrosion inhibitors also. Just figure it is a piece of junk. Like all the other aftermarket parts. Could be I was trying to get out cheap and save money. Going with an Aluminum rad. now.

Plenty of room nothing is hitting there. Was running coolant with corrosion inhibitors also. Just figure it is a piece of junk. Like all the other aftermarket parts. Could be I was trying to get out cheap and save money. Going with an Aluminum rad. now.
Best to isolate the mounts with some
rubber, running an aluminum rad.
20181216_165933.jpg

Been told to make sure the rad is grounded to stop electroless. Thanks for all the info. Now the waiting game for delivery.

We have a few shops up here in Jersey. I had a crack in mine repaired earlier this year. Cost me 120. If you want I can get you the info. To see about shipping it. They did a great job found a crack I didn't know about. Boiled it out, painted it looks to damn good to be in my car.

Auto Transport Service
Back