• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New radiator tore up.

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:35 AM
Reaction score
So replaced my leaking radiator that only had 4400 miles on it. Bottom tank had a crack in it. So ordered a new one from US radiators. Looked grate. So bought a new fan shroud from Classic industries. put the new radiator in and got the shroud out and what a pace of junk it was. Not Composit material just flimsy plastic. But decided to use it. Don't have a lot of clearance at bottom of radiator and fan but it worked fined with the other radiator. Put fluids in and took it for a drive. Every ting seemed good. Then yesterday took the car to town and topped off the fuel tank. Just before getting home hear a noise and not good. Pulled to the shoulder of the road and yes fluid leaking from radiator at bottom four cores and fan shroud chewed up at top. I think the fan sucked that cheap shroud to it and cause pieces to go between the fan and radiator at bottom. Thus, eating into the radiator core. So, 800-dollar radiator shot. 145 shrouds shot. I don't think my water pump has any slack in it. Not enough room to move the fan back towards the motor due to that classic air compressor won't let me do that. I have a half an inch space from fan to the compressor clutch. Can I go with a quarter of an inch clearance or do I need to keep the half inch there. If I could do that it would give me a little more room for fan to clear better at the radiator core at bottom. Just don't understand what went wrong but believe that cheap shroud was so cheaply made that it pulled too the fan and took plastic chunks down between the fan and radiator core. Thanks, classic industries and OER for costing me to spend a lot more money that I did not need to spend. Any ideas would be appreciated. :BangHead:

Did you have a shroud originally with the old radiator ? Did you check your engine mounts ?

My two oem looking repops authorized by Mopar....1st showed up in 2 pieces. Sent it back. Replacement showed up cracked. I repaired it because there was a high probability of the replacement being broken as well.

Last edited:
Have you tried running without a shroud? Maybe with an aftermarket radiator it will run fine without a shroud. How much clearance is there between fan and radiator - IIRC, 1” is the recommended gap. Going to 1/4” gap on the backside of the fan to compressor clutch seems tight to me.

Show us some pictures of what you have going on, please.

I run without a shroud. I had one, but it didn’t look like there would be enough clearance. Car runs great without it.

I've never seen a fan "suck" a shroud into the airstream. I got a big question mark over my head on this one. I gotta think something else went awry. Engine Mounts, loose fan bolts, loose shroud attachment, etc. ?

Yes, will post pictures as soon as I get things coming apart. New motor mounts. Clearence between radiator and fan was working with the other radiator for 4500 miles. The radiator had a crack in the bottom tank so ordered same for same from US radiators. Looks like the new shroud was sucked into the fan and jammed it up while cutting up the radiator making the pitch off at the bottom and contacting the rad. That is my thoughts so far. I know it is not possible to change clearance due to the AC compressor clutch is a factor in getting more clearance. So, just ordered another radiator and have an original fan shroud coming off Ebay a guy had for sale. Maybe this factory one will work better.

Yes, will post pictures as soon as I get things coming apart. New motor mounts. Clearence between radiator and fan was working with the other radiator for 4500 miles. The radiator had a crack in the bottom tank so ordered same for same from US radiators. Looks like the new shroud was sucked into the fan and jammed it up while cutting up the radiator making the pitch off at the bottom and contacting the rad. That is my thoughts so far. I know it is not possible to change clearance due to the AC compressor clutch is a factor in getting more clearance. So, just ordered another radiator and have an original fan shroud coming off Ebay a guy had for sale. Maybe this factory one will work better.
Be careful of "new" engine mounts. Years ago, I removed my homemade solid mounts for new rubber biscuits, made in you-know-where. Shortly thereafter, guess what ? The fan met my oem radiator that was just recored.

IMG_0101 - Copy.JPG
Verry little pressure with my thumb to open the gap between radiator and shroud
IMG_0106 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0105 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0102 - Copy.JPG

The blade must be too close to everything that it hit. Is that one of those plastic fan blades? I was wanting to see the set up. The A/C compressor location, fan blade clearance etc... that you were saying limited your options.

Think I could take a quarter inch off the fan spacer. Which would levee a quarter inch clearance from the Ac compressor clutch.

No power steering? Is there a second groove on the bottom pulley that you could use if you moved the compressor back? I cant really tell.

I hate it when that happens! I once had a beloved MP 5-blade viscous fan destroy a radiator after I crossed some rough train tracks at 50 mph..
Not sure if it was the tracks themselves or the "landing" that caused it, but thank goodness for AAA!
Moral to the story = don't look down at the back of her head unless you're certain you have clear sailing ahead....

:lol:

No power steering? Is there a second groove on the bottom pulley that you could use if you moved the compressor back? I cant really tell.
Manual steering. Called Classic Air and was told no way to move that Ac compressor.

It's tough to see exactly what happened in those pictures but I have heard those "mopar authentic" shrouds were junk. They are flimsy, crack and warp after going through multiple heat cycles. There are many different fan spacers you can try. Sorry to see the carnage.

Auto Transport Service
Back