• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaking thermoquad on 1978 440 hp

Billy Lo

Local time
8:12 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

After de-greasing the engine yesterday it looks like I do indeed have a fuel leak on the driver's side of my carb. I am not into learning how to rebuild one so who is the best out there to get it rebuilt so it stops leaking? I heard they now make an aluminum part to replace the bakelite section? Is that a good way to go? Thanks for any info/advice!

I bet there are 4-5 places in New York City alone that rebuild carburetors (used to be a lot more). Do you have any mechanical knowledge at all? If no, then buy an aftermarket from your favorite parts store & have a shop install it. If yes, then see where it's leaking. IF the plastic body has cracked, you can fix it with epoxy designed for plastic & be driving the car in 30 min. including time to wash your hands.

As weird as it sounds, I was able to repair a small leak in my TQ with patience, epoxy and a fine file. The leak was at the base plate/body junction under the accelerator pump. It looked like somebody had missed a screw and tried to pry the thing apart. I took it apart, just the long screws that hold the major components together, and carefully separated the carb. I filled in the scratches with epoxy and let it set for 24 hours. I carefully filed the overage down until it matched the original surface. New gaskets and about $10 combined with patience and confidence...PRESTO! The TQ works like a dream.

Auto Transport Service
Back