• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LED dash lighting

Tori

Local time
11:08 PM
Reaction score
Got this idea from member Matthew Maloney, as he did the same to his car (different model)

On his recommendation, i bought the 5630 dimmable, green, LED strip lighting. (Amazon) and routed it throughout my cluster while i had it apart for clock repair. I don't have the cluster installed yet (goes in tomorrow) but here are some pics. Everybody loves pics ;)
If you look close you can see how i routed the led strip in and around things in the housing. Basically just tried to use as much strip as possible and leave no areas without LED coverage.

I'm super happy with how it evenly lights the complete gauge face and will draw much less amperage than the 6 or so incandescent bulbs.

The hot spot on the clock i ended up dealing with by closing off an opening that the clock face has to let light in. (you can see the notch at the 11 o'clock position on the clock. Speedo has one too) It wasn't as bad as the camera made it to be, but now with that opening blocked it's all even. I'll post an installed pic tomorrow night once it starts to get dark.
IMG_5717.JPG
IMG_5716.JPG
IMG_5718.JPG

Last edited:
looks good, i just got some blue leds for my interior and dash was looking to accent my silver color of my car and its blue motor since the leds are gonna be used under my hood and trunk. I purchased the single ones so I could place them I where ever I needed the light, the green looks more original, nice.

Looks great!!

and not to forget the radio.... :)

Stock light still worked, a fair bit dimmer that the rest of the dash,.... pulled the lid off the radio to get to the light and maybe clean the bulb/colored condom or maybe mod this bulb situation too. Bingo ! Piece of cake. I just happened to have a 3" scrap piece from the dash lighting, trimmed off the waterproof gel covering the strip and soldered on a pwr and ground lead. Worked like a charm !
In the first image you can see the stock light assy.

IMG_5736.JPG IMG_5737.JPG IMG_5739.JPG FullSizeRender(2).jpg IMG_5741.JPG

...and the real reason we're here.... (this is at full voltage. - dimmer all the way up)
IMG_5734.JPG

Looking good. I love the led strips much much better. My 67 barracuda dash only had 4 light bulbs, lots of dim spots until i did the led light strips.

I had a 68 cuda years and years ago around 1987 same issues, but led light strips had not been invented yet. I took the dash apart and cleaned everything up tried new bulbs and it was marginally better.

And the bonus, you will never ever change a burned out dash back lighting bulb in your life ever again.

Auto Transport Service
Back