• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Length of the Block Alignment Pins and Suggested Removal Methods

MCODECUDA

Local time
8:37 PM
Reaction score
I need to remove the transmission alignment pins from the rear of my 440 block. I tried to grab them with vise grip s and twist them but they slip. Mi second thought was to drill them out starting with a smaller hole and working my way up but I don’t know when to stop because I don’t know how long they are. Also if someone has another method to remove them I’d appreciate some suggestions. FYI this is a fully assembled motor and I do have a mig welder. Thanks

Drill them till the drill bit hits air - the holes are much deeper than the lengths of the pins. One way is to drill to 3/8" with enough clearance that a 3/8" bolt with the threads cut off will slip in and out of the hole. Now pack grease in the cavity and drive the bolt in. The grease will force the pins out.

I've done it with quarter inch bolts. The dowels are only about 3/4 of an inch long and yes there is a void behind them

Or do what anyone with a welder would do...Weld a lug nut onto it and crank on it back and forth until it comes out.

SST 375.JPG
SST 376.JPG

SST 379.JPG

Drill them till the drill bit hits air - the holes are much deeper than the lengths of the pins. One way is to drill to 3/8" with enough clearance that a 3/8" bolt with the threads cut off will slip in and out of the hole. Now pack grease in the cavity and drive the bolt in. The grease will force the pins out.
You gave me an idea. Drill and tap it for a 3/8 bolt and fill it with grease then thread in the bolt. It would probably work without grease with the bolt bottoming out on the block.

The passenger side you can drill a hole through from the other side and tap it out with a small punch.

Weld an allen bolt to the dowel. Slide a socket and washer and nut over the allen threads. Tighten the nut and they will pull right out. I did it right in the car.
Doug

Oh sure. Now his head will be so big he won't be able to get through any doors all day!

Auto Transport Service
Back