• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let engine sit without coolant?

Jonas Nordstrom

Local time
12:27 PM
Reaction score
Im going to drain out the coolant from the radiator and engine to change freeze plugs, hoses etc.
As Im still putting in new wiring in the car the engine wont turn for a couple of months.

What are the risks of having the engine/radiator sit without coolant in?

It is recommended to store radiators (long term) full of coolant to stop corrosion.
Mike

If a radiator isn't being used for a long time what other way to stop corrosion? Flush with baking soda?

I don’t see any issue. The one R/T I have had no coolant in the radiator for a couple decades. It’s the only radiator (Indoor storage) in my old car fleet that did not need re-cored.

I could see block forming rust due to the cast iron, not so much rad being either brass or aluminum.

I removed the rad and flushed it directly with water. (Original rad, brass right?)

And then when everything is back together I plan to flush the engine with some rust remove. There was a thread about that here on the forum.

Then I guess I should be ok.

Auto Transport Service
Back