• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's say you just graduated with your ME degree, what car do you buy?

SteveSS

Local time
7:12 PM
Reaction score
My son is a month away from graduation with his bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering. He is a car guy through and through. I'm sure his first job will be good, not great money. What car would you buy new or used? I know he likes Mopars but who knows?

2017 T/A 392
002-2017DodgeChallengerTA392.jpg

Well depending on how much money he owes and so on ! I'd say a nice 71-74 charger there cheap 318 cars get good gas ins is cheap tag is cheap! But if he needs something newer I'd say a 06 ish charger with a hemi

I've known quite a few engineers especially mechanical, and electrical, and programmers. Guess what a large majority of them were driving?

1.jpg

He doesn't owe any money but I sure have spent a lot.

Start his own business on the side while he works for someone else...is an option?

I think I’d look for a nice low mile Dodge short bed with a 5.7, 2wd. Maybe 4wd if needed.

What car would you buy new or used?
He doesn't owe any money but I sure have spent a lot.

You gave him what he needs to provide for himself, an education. If you are going to give him a graduation present, make it something that doesn't hinder your finances more.

Weren’t SAAB called the engineer’s car? We can only pray he does not go that route

I'm not buying him a car. I'm giving him a nice Seiko watch. His daily driver is an 02 Dodge 2500 Cummins.He once said something about a Scat Pack.

My best friends niece got her second degree in m.e. and bought a cruze. She needed something small and economical to deal with a long socal fwy commute. I have no doubt that at some point she will get a nice hobby car for herself. Her dad has a 56 chevy with a 454, a 69 camaro, and daily drives a 67 camaro. Her mom has a late model camaro ss, and told me today that she was seriously looking at a zl1. Her aunt, my
best friend, has an a66 70 340 challenger. Her niece has been around hot rods her whole life, it's only a matter of time.

not sure if he is just looking for a commuter car to and from his job? Some want something semi-cool (or more) for a daily or just looking for reliable economical transport. Others are into rice grinders. Well - as an engineer, ask me how I know, he knows how to create a matrix listing what he wants, what his vehicle needs/wants are, and price range. I helped my daughter look at vehicles before she graduated. She wanted a smaller SUV as she has two dogs and a rear door that swung out instead up so she could better contain her dogs when getting them in and out of the back. I thought for our WI winters an AWD would be better; but go figure, she got relocated to Miami though a little perk here is the SUV sits higher and her street has flooded a few times and nice her SUV is further above the water. Some like me, get an education after decades having cars that were good, better, and ****. If your son is a handy sort as I think you mentioned, he may want a vehicle with some cargo space for hauling stuff for DIY projects. After having a pickup I find I never want to be without one, but for most stuff I find a smaller truck (Dakota) is fine after having a larger one before. And I like some comfort stuff so the Laramie model I found a few years ago I hope to keep for the duration. It's AWD, leather, heated seats, etc. My preference though has always been a 4x4, V8; but some are fine with a six. I have rarely bought new looking on the net for what I want with low miles and from a climate that is kind to rides. It'll get enough salt after I buy it...

It depends on a lot of things.... like how far he will have to travel for work, if he is the kind of guy that will need a truck, will be living at home or moving out on his own... the list could go on and on. But before making any big purchase, I would make sure that I had a solid and secure job that I liked. When I got done school, I drove "beater" cars that were cheap so I could have some extra money for toys and also tried to put away a few dollars for a house down payment. IMO, the worst possible thing to do is go into a bunch of debt by buying an expensive vehicle.

Speaking as an ME myself, gotta have a performance car first. Then add utility vehicles (Jeep) and a decent tow vehicle for the future towable toys. I have a hard time getting rid of vehicles myself. Right now I have 7 vehicles: 4 Classic Mopars, a Jeep Cherokee (snow plow), a GMC Denali XL (tow vehicle) and a Acura TL fun driver. I wish the Acura was a stick shift, but oh well, it gets good gas mileage (26 average) and has 270 HP at the wheels. Plus the wife has a Ford Escape. And I got the “privilege” of storing my sister-in-law’s Subaru Forester at my house too.

Congratulations on adhering to a save/pay as you go plan Steve. Whatever he decides to get he will at least have the comfort and confidence that comes with not having to start life in a debt hole!

Auto Transport Service
Back