• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's See Your Late B-Body

streetmachine

Local time
9:38 PM
Reaction score
I figure I'd start a thread showing off our cars here. Unfortunately, I don't own a Late B for now but, here's my old one. Sometimes, I think I should have kept it.

79Cordoba.jpg

It is deceased from your ownership. I think that qualifies as a late b body.

I have always like Mirada's and Magnum's but never owned one yet.

Nothing against J Bodies but, I like the Magnums better for the fact that the engine bay is bigger plus the smallest axle on a Late B I'm aware of the is the 8.25 in size. When I bought my car I wanted a Magnum and a guy was supposed to send me pictures of a sunroof one I was looking at in Oregon. Never heard back so I ended with a '79 Cordoba for a while until I sold it as an agreement to buy back my Lil Red Express I owned when I was younger. I was suppose to sell my other car but, I kept it and not sure if I'll sell it to buy another Late B or something else or just keep it. Still on the fence currently and waiting to see what happens in life.

1979 Chrysler 300 I purchased new in 1980. Currently, hibernating next to my '70 Charger.

IMG_20200425_185400133.jpg
IMG_20200425_185412941.jpg

Here is a Cordoba that I let go of several years ago. You have to be careful when you throw out your “I don’t want to sell it” price. Here it is at Carlisle in 2015 under the tent of the Mopar Survivors. 27,000 mile original big block.

42046B46-F32A-427B-ACB1-C1111C4A7510.jpeg 451DA2DC-C184-4569-9A3E-6AF7F607D409.jpeg 30BB9EB8-45E6-4428-BAA8-8E0C376DAF3E.jpeg 271F0932-9419-4567-9570-A666AA4A29C1.jpeg 2454E66C-B9B1-4720-9592-010DD7405627.jpeg

Nothing against J Bodies but, I like the Magnums better for the fact that the engine bay is bigger plus the smallest axle on a Late B I'm aware of the is the 8.25 in size. When I bought my car I wanted a Magnum and a guy was supposed to send me pictures of a sunroof one I was looking at in Oregon. Never heard back so I ended with a '79 Cordoba for a while until I sold it as an agreement to buy back my Lil Red Express I owned when I was younger. I was suppose to sell my other car but, I kept it and not sure if I'll sell it to buy another Late B or something else or just keep it. Still on the fence currently and waiting to see what happens in life.
I almost traded in my '79 300 for a J body Imperial, but the 318 V8, cloth interior, and boring instrument panel were a turn off for me. Later, I learned of the fuel injection issues. Glad I didn't trade in my car. Whew!

That being said, it would be interesting to mod one of the '81 to '83 Imperials using a built 360, a 727, and an appropriately sized differential/axle. Will it all fit?

A Frank Sinatra edition that would make Nancy proud. :)

This a good thread for @Thunderdan to post pics of his 1978 Monaco A38/E86.

The 79 300 had all the right bells and whistles and with some work the smogger E58 ran real well.
Now that I'm older fast is not as important to me (as much). I have been keeping a eye out for another 79 300.

You could get a 7 1/4 rear end in a late Bbody.

Interesting. I've never seen a 7 1/4 in a Late B Body. I do know you could get a Slant Six in a them (certain models) as well but, I have yet to see one as of current though.

I am going to have to look at my 77 Cordoba sales brochure as I'm sure there was a 7 1/4 axle on it. But I could be wrong and it won't be the first time.

I am going to have to look at my 77 Cordoba sales brochure as I'm sure there was a 7 1/4 axle on it. But I could be wrong and it won't be the first time.

I was thinking maybe the Dodge Magnum could have a 7 1/4 but, I have never seen one. I believe Magnumguy said there was a small number of Magnums produced with the Slant Six.

I bought a 75, 400 Runner, brand new. I like them because they're the last of the "muscle" B-bodies. I like the styling of the Cordobas and the 79 300 is a pretty special car I think with it's dual cats etc.

photo 4.JPG

Here is my ‘79 Magnum. A bit rusty. It is my second one. I purchased this from the original owner. The super tired 318/904/8-1/4, 2.76 ratio drive train came with his hand written paper work where he stopped recording everything & I mean everything he had serviced down to the windshield wipers and light bulb in the radio at 323,000 miles.

I asked him how he put on over 323,000 miles on the car in 10 years, where did you go? He smiled and said it is easier to tell you where I didn’t go, Mexico & Alaska. He continued to say twice a year he would load up his wife and two kids and drive to there vacation spot. A different one each time. Now that’s seeing America!

88E30049-DB73-4FA3-A7C1-18EAD98E358A.jpeg
EC2B3C0C-B143-4F0F-881A-BF92B0F8A811.jpeg
E5E4888E-70C0-405C-9E0B-981D40DAC788.jpeg
1C5135CA-0A7A-4977-8421-F4EBDB6AE6F6.jpeg

He continued to say…. I gave it to my daughter for collage in upstate NY for 4 years. (I could tell this was truthful and painful when he said) She came home every weekend. 4 hour drive one way. Then his son got it for 4 years at the same collage though he never came home unless it was a holiday. (I’m thinking, heck! Why would a young man come home when he can go to Philly for a cheese steak or St. Louis for beer? We England for clam chowder? Which I’m sure he did. Hell, I would!)

After 8 years of collage duties, the car returned to him where he then had an 80 miles round trip commute for his job where the car soldiered on faithfully for another 10 years.

Is anyone doing the math here?!?!

The 318 was tired and the bearing clearances were getting bigger. I initially swapped out the 318 for a P code ‘78-400 from a Cordoba along with the 727 & 9-1/4 rear w/3.23’s. I was not amused with it. That was later moved (400) to a Duster and I swung in a ‘00-5.9 w/80K on the clock. Hooker 1-3/4 super comps w/2-1/2 exhaust, RPM & a 600 AFB was used and topped with a factory trap door air cleaner. Chrome box ignition.
It is an excellent driver with good power and reasonable mileage for 3.55’s on a 26-1/2 tire. I highly recommend a 5.9 should the Opportunity arises.

I was initially attracted by the for sale ad where he stated it was a GT. Lacking everything GT, I’d didn’t care. The price was right. So in forked over the $500 bucks and said, Now that I just paid for it and I’m ready to take this ride home, I have one question, you said GT in the want ad where this is clearly an XE with….

He walked away from me, opened up the drivers door and shoved his pointer finger to the inside of the door and pointed, the stripe is right here, it was repainted a while back. I just never put the stripes back on.
He bought the car Literally!, right off the dealers showroom floor. The dealer did the GT stripe package to attract people into the show room.

Typical white & red, almost Ho-Humm boring but I like it.
Now that I’m retired, I hope to get some metal to get the trunk and rear 1/4’s fixed up. I like these late B body cars. Good styling for a horrid era. Ride quality is nice. I love love love driving this car everywhere. The only draw back to this particular car is he used it to trailer and launch his boat into the ocean… so yea… you guessed it, I have a bit of a rust issue. It’s actually not to bad considering.

079D634C-D064-4FF5-A941-D07FA4D35F8C.jpeg
486DCCAA-6B4B-4F03-94A7-D6A9786B7EDF.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back