• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lift Drip Protector

First Version of Drip Protector

So I finished version 1.0 of my drip protector.

I took a piece of galvanized roofing and cut it down to 36 inches wide. Then I simply took two strips of wood and attached them to the bottom of my lift using some wire. The roofing just slips on top of them.

The wire will come off easily enough, but maybe I will experiment at some point with hand clamps to make setting it up and removing it easier.

This works for now. I offer the following pictures so you can either bust my chops or get ideas from it. As you wish... :eusa_whistle:

IMG_0722.jpgIMG_0723.jpgIMG_0731.jpg

Last edited:
Needs Paint!

Uhhhmmm, dude, like, it's not yellow!:eusa_doh::toothy10:

APPROVED!:jerk:

Uhhhmmm, dude, like, it's not yellow!:eusa_doh::toothy10:

APPROVED!:jerk:

LOL. I think the drips from the 70 will "paint" the drip protector!

Hopefully, soon enough the 70 Road Runner will return to its original Lime Light. That will break up all the yellow (but still be quite bright). For now, there is massive confusion in the family, since "the yellow Road Runner" can be either of the two cars!

Hawk

If you want to use mags., then use Earth Magnets, very strong. I just used a blue tarp & attach it with those plastic hand clamps, works for me.
I actually put those rare-earth magnets on my car. I put one on my oil drain plug, and another on my filter, on my daily driver (25k a year). They are still there at my 7500 mile synthetic oil change. Great insurance!

Looks good!
The only other thing I'd think about is how much the upper car drips? Could it make a puddle that woud run to one end or the other and drip off? If so maybe a thick bead of silicone caulking or even low expansion spray foam across each end of the metal to make more of a trough.

I had my 66 coronet in the front garage while I was
finishing the inside of my pole building this winter.

I noticed a dark circle around the left rear wheel. Thought
it was condesation. It appears to be a wheel cylinder leak.

Not to make you paranoid but there is always some risk.

I have a 4 post that I bought to use as a work platform while
finishing the building. I planked it with 3/4" plywood to fill in
between the ramps. After what happened to the coronet I am
going to leave the plywood on the lift and cover it with visqueen
for further protectiion when storing. Fortunately I have a 2 post
that I use most the time.

I actually put those rare-earth magnets on my car. I put one on my oil drain plug, and another on my filter, on my daily driver (25k a year). They are still there at my 7500 mile synthetic oil change. Great insurance!

I've got some rare earth magnets and I cannot pull them apart. If the are large enough they can break finger bones or pinch skin badly if not careful. I have to use the edge of a metal shelf and break them apart by using the sharp edge of the post so unless forced they are not coming off. What you did sounds like a great use for them. Possibly on the transpan and the rear end too if they stick to cast iron IDK ?? Anyone know of any problems with a strong magnetic field on internals of the driveline?

I use washing machine drip pans. The are pretty big, and two will cover everything from the radiator to the tail shaft. I've been using them for years. Easily available at Home Dopo. You can either put a towel on the bottom car and just lay the pans on the car, or use the magnet idea, that sounds great too. I have two four post lifts and plan on spanning the ramps with the pans or 2x4s.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/step/0,,20052014_683999,00.html

Good Idea...

- - - Updated - - -

Good Idea too...

Looks good!
The only other thing I'd think about is how much the upper car drips? Could it make a puddle that woud run to one end or the other and drip off? If so maybe a thick bead of silicone caulking or even low expansion spray foam across each end of the metal to make more of a trough.

I agree that's a good idea. Luckily, I don't have any major leaks, just a drop here and there, so I am OK for now. However, one day, I'll likely need that protection. I should add a quick bead of caulk when I have some extra from an open tube...

- - - Updated - - -

I had my 66 coronet in the front garage while I was
finishing the inside of my pole building this winter.

I noticed a dark circle around the left rear wheel. Thought
it was condesation. It appears to be a wheel cylinder leak.

Not to make you paranoid but there is always some risk.

I have a 4 post that I bought to use as a work platform while
finishing the building. I planked it with 3/4" plywood to fill in
between the ramps. After what happened to the coronet I am
going to leave the plywood on the lift and cover it with visqueen
for further protectiion when storing. Fortunately I have a 2 post
that I use most the time.

Yeah, good point. And especially since brake fluid will mess up paint too.
(Thanks for ruining my sleep tonight... :angryfire:)

Maybe I can use this excuse to tell the wife I need a four post too... :icon_mrgreen:

In all seriousness, this is a great point and something to consider. Either I gamble or see about coming up with a better way. Maybe that's just an old fashioned tarp held up by rare earth magnets!

I'd make an upside down tarp tonneau cover for the lift. You can buy the little buttons and just add them to a tarp here and there then screw a few to the lift. Then the tarp is just snapped on when you want it and snapped off and folded up for later when not. you could even come out farther if you wanted and cover the wheel drips if you have a place to attach it.

Then if you really wanna get snazzy you can put something with a logo on it down there instead of a blue tarp...

I'd be worried about knocking that piece of roofing off of there by bumping it and having it come tear the paint of of whichever yellow roadrunner happens to be on the bottom at that time.:jerk:

Walmart has large trays in their auto section. They are about 24" by about 48" and look like a large cookie sheet. These have a rolled safety bead all the way around them. A friend of mine found that on his 4 post they slide right in. I think the cost is $10 each in Port Huron MI.

Auto Transport Service
Back