• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lifters summit racing?? Lunati cam??

ZR9B

Local time
4:50 AM
Reaction score
Anyone using them with good luck?? The reason I ask is Im running the lunati 513/533 276/284 cam and this runs great....only problem is I lost a lifter and bent a push rod the first time I got into it...replaced the one lifter and push rod (I know should have done them all) Drove it for a while then from a slow roll got on it good and now have 3 to 4 loud lifters per side.... called lunati and he kinda led me to believe that the lifters they use are not the best out there....and there is only 3 or 4 company's that make them anymore and most are re box.... hit or miss type thing....Im pulling the intake off real soon to make sure I didn't wipe the cam...As far as the way the cam runs....cant wait to get it back running again, the think comes to life like rite now and then some ...Had the DC 509 and really didn't care for it unless I was at the track....anyway just wondering who uses summit lifters and that cam with or with out there lifters...(did that make sense?)

Thanks

Doesn't sound like a lifter, sounds like a clearance or spring pressure issue! Too light on the springs. Piston to valve or retainer to seal/guide clearance. Maybe tight guides.

that is the lifter that came with the cam....I had Angelucci (sp?) do the heads gave him all the cam specs and talked to the old man on the heads for about an hour. The heads were milled pretty much as far as he could go with them but said they will give no problems with them milled. He wasn't really crazy for that cam but said it would make good power. If it blows out the next set of lifters I will pull the heads and have all the numbers double checked, but I'm sure he knows what he is doing...valve to piston was also checked before assembly , and I used a bore scope pistons were not touched. Maybe time to go roller cam????

Please define, "lost a lifter"? Is it missing or what?

And you now have 37.5%-50% of the lifters "lost"? Something else is wrong. I'd check now.

collapsed = lost they wont pump back up...took it apart and only found two like this ,this time...thats three total...the guy had reservations on the quality control of the lifters made today.... basically told me guys were having good luck with the mopar performance lifters...just was wondering who made summit lifters as there are only three lifter manufactures left and they box them for others.. the first run I had no tack (kicking myself) ....

I read on one of these boards that eaton is the only manufacter of lifters left in america no matter what name is on the box.

I read on one of these boards that eaton is the only manufacter of lifters left in america no matter what name is on the box.

Great thread! Does Eaton produce them for everyone(like in,the aftermarket as well)? What about Comp,Crower,etc.? There's Melling lifters in my mill now;so far,no issues.

for what it is worth...Eaton does make all hyd lifters in usa ..but not all are the same..another thing I called a buddy that builds some bad *** rides...700+hp.. he has one of the fastest door slammers out there.(black 67 chevelle 1045 hp)..anyhow told him what was going on and he said if I had called two weeks ago he would have said heads are set up wrong.......but last week he dynoed a 65 plymouth 440.....the first dyno run = one collapsed lifter..he thought fluke....second run....4 collapsed lifters.....lost a day at dyno.... he put comp high energy lifters...like 6 pulls no trouble @ 6oo+ hp....he also said he would have used mopar ones if he could have got them in time.

I used summit brand lifters when i did a magnum head conversion on a 340. Rocker geometry was fine.....collapsed 4 of them within a week.

How do you oil the top end?? Bolting magnum heads on an LA block the top end won't oil. Get the mopar performance small block book they cover this.

You use american motors lifters and order the right lenght gm push rods or mopar performance makes the right lengh pushrods (with the oil holes in them). Amc lifters are the same lifter bore and lenght as sbm. Motor ran great after I put good lifters in it. Way more power for a stock head than an x head.

Amc oils the same way as gm through the lifter and through the push rod oiling evrything up top.

Lifters need three things ion the oil.

1. Phosphorus.
2. Molybdenum.
3. Zinc.

Little bottles of additives can not blend properly with base oils. It has to be blended at time of MFG. We are all suffering the same issue.

Auto Transport Service
Back