• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lunati Voodoo cam 1023073 with Tremec TKX 5 spd

Charlie Brown

Local time
3:28 AM
Reaction score
Current engine is a 426 street wedge with a Lunati 10230703 cam. Car / engine runs strong from idle to 6200 rpm. Currently running a Torqueflite auto, reworked factory convertor to give approx 2400 stall. 3.23 rear gears and 28 inch rear tires. Cam specs as follows as taken from the Lunati web site:

Hydraulic Flat Tappet. This high performance street cam likes 2400 RPM stall, 800 CFM carb, dual plane intake and headers. Makes un- equaled power to 6200 RPM with proper valve springs.; Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/276; Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 226/234; Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .494/.513; LSA/ICL: 110/106; Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd; RPM Range: 1800-6200

There's a strong probability that I'm going to switch out the auto trans for a Tremec TKX and a rear gear change (3.55 or?) - yet to be determined.
My question is, will this cam perform the same behind the Tremec as it performs behind my auto trans. Most of my research shows that this cam is being used behind auto trans cars. Opinions please.

It should work fine, usually it's a problem using a snotty cam with an auto but the manual allows you to slip the clutch as needed... A middle of the road cam like the 703 wouldn't be any problem at all...

The area where a snotty cam and a stick can be an issue is when you run a highway gear.. And even then it's better than an auto...

It should work fine, usually it's a problem using a snotty cam with an auto but the manual allows you to slip the clutch as needed... A middle of the road cam like the 703 wouldn't be any problem at all...

The area where a snotty cam and a stick can be an issue is when you run a highway gear.. And even then it's better than an auto...
“A snotty cam”… I like that! :D

Just be careful your final drive ratio in od. Modern engines love loping along at 1400rpm, snotty cammed bb's don't

Wide ratio TKX? or close ratio TKX? Tire size?

You won’t have a problem with that cam

Just be careful your final drive ratio in od. Modern engines love loping along at 1400rpm, snotty cammed bb's don't
To me, this is the main concern. Seeing how you run tall tires, mild converter stall and a soft axle ratio like a 3.23, the mechanical leverage of the gearing in the Tremec along with a 3.55 will be an even better setup.
I run a bigger cam that that, 3.55 gears and 26 1/2" tires and I think I'm a bit over cammed for the combination.

I have the 484 hydraulic, 28" tires and 4.10 with my tko and the tall OD kinda sucks under 70mph yet I'm screaming in 4th at 65.

I’d never considered this downside of an overdrive.

I used to run the .484 cam in my 4 speed car and it was like an on/off switch.

I think the modern cams smooth this out some

Yes many better cam options, I would not have done this but the charger was my dad's and he was afraid of a solid cam and checking lash.

Auto Transport Service
Back