• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Look at my coolant

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:35 AM
Reaction score
This is some coolant that came out of the overflow hose which i attached to a bottle.

IMG_1215.jpg

Does it look as it should? (Looks pretty good to me)
Trying to figure out if i should flush the cooling system with some chemical cleaner before installing a new radiator or not.

What is this in? Looks good for a new car. I never used anything but Prestone green in my old cars. They are now compatible with each other, I think.

Looks pretty good to me. I’d just drain it out, replace rad, and fill with new.
I replace my coolant with premixed every year. Keeps thing from ever getting bad.

That image reminded me I have to pee! ruffcut

Thanks!
I just wanted some confirmation since i have not seen a lot of used coolant to compare it to.
So i will just replace the radiator and not flush the system. :)

Last edited:
This is some coolant that came out of the overflow hose which i attached to a bottle.

View attachment 1181967

Does it look as it should? (Looks pretty good to me)
Trying to figure out if i should flush the cooling system with some chemical cleaner before installing a new radiator or not.

Are you sure that this is (red) coolant? Could be that it is just water in there that turned reddish due to rust...

I would do the flush. What is the worst thing that can happen ? You spend a few dollars and you know the system is good.
Peace of mind for me...

You can't just look at anti-freeze/Coolant and know it is OK. Test it with a tester and make sure it still has high boil low freeze point.

It looks like its been in there a while. Antifreeze flush is needed when it looks like that....strength aside, you don't want iron oxide flowing around that much. Ago really is not the problem, as I pulled 40 year old antifreeze out of the 67 Coronet that looked and smelled new......but once it picks up minerals ect......its like sandpaper to your block and deposits on the rad.

If it was mine, I would flush it out. Not expensive or hard to do. You have had the car for a couple of years now and really don't know when it was flushed last. Cheap insurance imo.

Auto Transport Service
Back