• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at 6" dial calipers $80-$100???

Went on Ebay to look to see what was on there. Saw a couple of vintage Mitutoyo's, how old is vintage? One was advertised as Made in Japan.

From 1979 to 1986 I used Mitutoyos as an oilfield equipment machinist. I never had a problem with them. My Uncle Bill bought my Kennedy tool chests full of tools when they laid off everyone and I joined the Army. He still has them.

I would say 38 year old calipers are vintage. Wouldn't you?

Guess vintage would be considered before all stuff was made in China.

I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

As for digitals', I just got one several years ago. Seems like every time I pick it up, the damned batteries are dead. I'll stick with a dial caliper.

In the OP I said I wanted a dial but as people here referenced their appreacaton for digital Mitutiyo's, I recalled that my employer has used them for literally decades. I began to take these into consideration.

After a little resurch, it would appear the "real" digital Mitutiyo's are still claimed to be made in Japan. I also read there is a real problem with low quality Chinese knock-offs to watch out for. That said, you can buy a "real" one for $106 on Amazon Prime. The Amazon reviews have some good pics of these and they appear to be real Japanese built.

At this price point, I'm thinking one is going hard pressed to beat its value when comparing both currently available dial and digital calipers at the same price point.

And that's where I'm at currently...

Auto Transport Service
Back