• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at converting to a simple EFI kit!

FiTec times 2...

DSCN0305.JPG DSCN0304.JPG DSCN0306.JPG

Colorado Dave how many miles on your system dumping the return down the filer neck? What conditions have you driven it in? I'm very curious there is a lot of debate about this..

Dave, that looks great. MORE info, please!!!!

OK, so for the sump system, I know the appeal is the ease of installation, BUT if I compared the time to install that sump and the time to "do it right" (not that that is wrong), Ill bet its the same..

I have done this both ways, I have taken out the tank module and custom installed the in tank pump, and I have used the inline pump.

I recommend the inline, I know its a bit louder BUT, I only hear it before the engine starts for 4 seconds, and I actually like it that way.
Use a walbro 255 inline, and wrap it with insulation, they sell a kit but I just cut up a beer cozy (black one) and wrap it up, then I don't screw them to the frame, Ill use black zip ties and make sure its all secured correctly..

I like the inline because if it fails, I can change it on the road, it hasn't happened yet (and I have used that same pump a lot, even on carbed motors with 29387), for my fi tech I have an extra 02 sensor and pump in my tool box...

Now for the return line there are tons of ways to do that, use the vent line, pop a whole in and use a grommet, but I like to change the tank at the time of the install, tanks are cheap and new gas sucks, so unless your tank is already new, I would factor that into the price, you don't want this all junked up..

Colorado Dave how many miles on your system dumping the return down the filer neck? What conditions have you driven it in? I'm very curious there is a lot of debate about this..

That's not a return line. The FiTec Fuel Command Center (FCC) system requires that a vent line (5/16" in my case) be run back to the fuel tank and introduced above the level fuel can attain. A 3/8" hard line (basically stock) from the tank sending unit to the mechanical Carter pump feeds the FCC. The FCC contains the high pressure electric pump that supplies fuel to the throttle bodies at a regulated 58 psi. This system is the least expensive and simplest for a street car. I only have a few hundred miles on the set-up and so far have been quite impressed. The idle quality (smooth 950 rpm every time the throttle is released) is way better than it ever was with carburetors, even though I have over 50 years street and race tuning experience with Carter/Weber/Edelbrock and Holley carburetors. Acceleration is very crisp. After I get more miles under my belt I will post a more complete story of my FiTec dealings.
For now, I will say that buying the set-up from Johnny at Pace Performance, solely because of his participation on this site and FABO, was a very good move. He has been instrumental in getting me through some problems that FiTec was slow to address. I highly recommend dealing with him.

Dave are you controlling the timing too with the Fitech?

Dave,

I have the same setup on my Coronet (minus one TBI unit). It was my understanding that the vacuum port on the FCC was left open unless used with forced induction. Where is the vacuum line going to on your setup?
Rich

Rich,
My FCC came with a tag on that nipple that said it must be hooked to PORTED vacuum. I called Bryce at FiTec and questioned him about this as I was under the same assumption as you after having read the installation instructions.. He assured me that this info was correct and it should be hooked up.

That's not a return line. The FiTec Fuel Command Center (FCC) system requires that a vent line (5/16" in my case) be run back to the fuel tank and introduced above the level fuel can attain. A 3/8" hard line (basically stock) from the tank sending unit to the mechanical Carter pump feeds the FCC. The FCC contains the high pressure electric pump that supplies fuel to the throttle bodies at a regulated 58 psi. This system is the least expensive and simplest for a street car. I only have a few hundred miles on the set-up and so far have been quite impressed. The idle quality (smooth 950 rpm every time the throttle is released) is way better than it ever was with carburetors, even though I have over 50 years street and race tuning experience with Carter/Weber/Edelbrock and Holley carburetors. Acceleration is very crisp. After I get more miles under my belt I will post a more complete story of my FiTec dealings.
For now, I will say that buying the set-up from Johnny at Pace Performance, solely because of his participation on this site and FABO, was a very good move. He has been instrumental in getting me through some problems that FiTec was slow to address. I highly recommend dealing with him.

Thanks bud

I wouldn't use the module, one of the nice parts about having fi is not having the mechanical fuel pump in the system, run feed and return and be done with it. And I wouldnt buy the kit they sell either, buy what you need and source the parts and fittings...

Auto Transport Service
Back