• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for basic 440 I.D. help.

fesser

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:29 PM
Reaction score
I just got a 68 Coronet R/T project. I knew that there was no fender tag, but I was hopeful that the engine would be the original.
This is what it has in front...
IMG_2325.JPG

And this is what I see in the back...
IMG_2328.JPG

I have been away from Mopars for a long time so please excuse any questions that should seem obvious. Regarding the first picture. No "HP". Does this prove that this is not an HP engine. Does the 10 5 mean it was built October 5th? What is the 2 supposed to mean?
Regarding the second picture, if this was a 440HP, I should be seeing a partial VIN in this area, correct? So, if there is no VIN in back, and no "HP" on the front pad is it safe to assume it is a 350 horse, 68 440?
Thanks.

Not an HP according to the pad but the blocks are all the same regardless.
The VIN on 68 blocks was on the left bottom side above the oil pan ahead of the starter if I am remembering correctly.

As others said, October 5, 1967. "D" = 1968. This early 1968 model year engine could have been installed before the factory started stamping VIN on them.

R/T should have an HP stamp

my 68 GTX had a D440 block (no HP stamp) assembled 7 months after my car.....no VIN anywhere, I assumed it was a warranty replacement?

I just thought of something else...Did the transmissions only get VINs if the engine was getting one? Or to be clear, would there be a VIN on a 68 transmission if the engine was not an HP?

Thanks for this link, and to DaveK who also provided it. As an old guy who is trying to educate himself about the whole correct/incorrect part of this obsession/hobby, I get frustrated by conflicting information. For example, in the Moparts on the Web page, they clearly state that 68 Vins will be found stamped on the lower rail on the right side of the block. This seems to be in direct conflict with most of what is posted on this site.

There is no shortage of bad information floating around, you just have to wade through it. One piece of info. you can count on is, the VIN did not appear on the pad on the right side of the engine until model year 1969.

You have one of those confusing years as they were switching where they stamped the VIN on the block.
This has been discussed a lot over the years and I don't think anyone ever totally agreed on what is correct.
Being that your motor was assembled Oct.-5 1967 2nd shift I would think it would be by the oil sending unit.
Here is what google has to say:

Thanks for this link, and to DaveK who also provided it. As an old guy who is trying to educate himself about the whole correct/incorrect part of this obsession/hobby, I get frustrated by conflicting information. For example, in the Moparts on the Web page, they clearly state that 68 Vins will be found stamped on the lower rail on the right side of the block. This seems to be in direct conflict with most of what is posted on this site.
That's cause moparts is wrong.

You have one of those confusing years as they were switching where they stamped the VIN on the block.
This has been discussed a lot over the years and I don't think anyone ever totally agreed on what is correct.
Being that your motor was assembled Oct.-5 1967 2nd shift I would think it would be by the oil sending unit.
Here is what google has to say:

[/URL]
Thank you. At this point I think I am kind of looking for something that I know I am not going to find. I was hoping to match the engine to the car. The car's VIN says the engine should be an HP. The engine pad says this one isn't HP. I suppose that settles the originality question.

Thank you. At this point I think I am kind of looking for something that I know I am not going to find. I was hoping to match the engine to the car. The car's VIN says the engine should be an HP. The engine pad says this one isn't HP. I suppose that settles the originality question.

if the engine assembly date pre-dates the fender tag "scheduled build date" by a couple weeks or so; and there are no other vin numbers on the block......stamp the HP onto the pad, and no one would ever be able to argue it

if the engine assembly date pre-dates the fender tag "scheduled build date" by a couple weeks or so; and there are no other vin numbers on the block......stamp the HP onto the pad, and no one would ever be able to argue it
What I failed to mention is the fender tag is missing. I don't think I will find a build sheet either since the seats have all been reupholstered, and the gas tank has been replaced. The only thing I have is a vin tag, and a car.

You got any pictures of the block casting numbers ?
If it is a true R/T I agree that it should be an HP block but remember the only difference in a HP or non HP block is nothing more than the stamp.
The HP internals would have a hotter cam and stiffer springs and maybe a steel shim head gasket or HP oil pump that the standard engine would not have.
Any standard 440 can be turned into what the HP would have easily.

One important detail that gets overlooked... You shouldn't take the originally thing to serious... Try, sure but at the end of the day it's not worth losing sleep over... The hobby should be more about enjoyment than aggravation... Just my 2 cents..

Auto Transport Service
Back