• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking For Help with 727 Torque Converter

ItsMeRuva

Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
I have a '67 Satellite with a recently rebuilt(last year before I got it) 383 that if at all may have been bored .30 over. Ed performer 383 intake and 650 carb. Have no clue at this point what compression is. I plan on installing a mild cam, and maybe aluminum heads hopefully next summer but for now that is what Ive got.

In a couple days I am replacing my 727 trans with a rebuilt 727, installing a rebuilt 3rd member with limited slip and 3.55 gears and also installing 1 7/8" tti headers with 2.5" exhaust. The rebuilt 727 Im getting comes with a rebuilt factory high stall torque converter.

My question is, should I install the factory high stall converter that I'm getting with the rebuilt trans or am I better off leaving the stock converter that I have until I finish with the engine work I plan on doing later?

Thanks, any input is well appreciated.

I would recommend that you use the new converter with the install. Reason being is that the old converter has debris in it from the old transmission and unless you carry it to be flushed by a transmission shop you will contaminate the new transmission.

I would recommend that you use the new converter with the install. Reason being is that the old converter has debris in it from the old transmission and unless you carry it to be flushed by a transmission shop you will contaminate the new transmission.

OK. Good to know!! I would never have even considered this. Thanks!
And you think the stall on the factory high stall converter will be Ok with my set-up?

You should also flush the trans cooler in the radiator, and any additional external cooler if the trans is new and those other parts are not.

Factory high stall wasn't all that high to start with. Should not be a problem at all unless you like a converter that's tight as can be. I ran 2.94 gears with one and it did fine but did even better once 3.91's went in.

These days, when buying a rebuilt trans from a local mass rebuilder, convertors are usually included in the deal. I'm pretty sure most are rebuilt stock units and I'm not sure they are so particular on the factory stall rating (which the higher stall versions were usually a few hundreds more). The factory " high stall" will be fine and since some mods have been made (and more to come), it will do nothing but improve performance and possibly drivability. Btw: Before the other mods are made, I'd really try to research the internals of your engine (ex. compression, cam specs, etc.). Make sure any additional mods compliment what you already have.

As mentioned above, re: using the new conv as not to contaminate your new trans ... if you are worried about that, you may want to go all the way and flush your existing trans lines through the radiator cooler or your ext cooler (if there is one). Good luck.

I will be installing the rebuilt trans and converter along with the other stuff that I mentioned this weekend. I will definitely utilize the good advice that has been given. Thanks for all the input guys.

One more quick question. Should I hold onto the original transmission and differential?

I was going to sell them to recoup some of my investment in the work I'm doing but they are original to the car as is pretty much everything else except for the intake and carb at this point. Those had been swapped when I bought the car and the originals weren't available. I am planning to make many changes to the car. I am not keeping it original. But was thinking maybe if I held onto the stuff that I do swap out if I ever decide to sell the car if I made the original parts available it may help with resale value.

Any thoughts on this?

Do you have the room to store them? Imo, these particular cars don't bring in a bunch of money anyways unless it's a GTX or a Hemi car and even then, they do not compete with the 68-70 cars. If you have the room, sure, why not. Might make a difference to someone and you never know when you might get another project that needs the rear end and trans. I have the space (barely) and do have some large parts stored. I find that whenever I get rid of stuff, it's not long before the time comes when I could use them lol

Yeah I get your point about the resale value to begin with and as far as space, I could make room but then it becomes valuable storage space VS. the need to store a particular item. I myself am kind of a pack rat(not a hoarder LOL). I do like to like to keep things that I may (or may not) at some time need in the future.

Im gonna have to think about this one but I think maybe I will keep the 3rd member and go ahead and sell the trans.

Thanks again for some good insight.

On saving the old transmission and differential - check the numbers and see if they are correct for your car. There's a good chance they might not be original to it so no reason to hang on to them. A lot of things can happen to a car in 50 years.

I would keep the transmission. I put a rebuilt trans into my car, and had problems where i needed parts from my old trans. Had to find each individual part separately. At least keep them until your car is sorted.

Auto Transport Service
Back