• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for input on sparkplugs

Paul Cotton

Local time
2:14 PM
Reaction score
I know everyone has an opinion on spark plugs, I would like to hear some of them on which brand I should use with my engine. I have a 440 with 10.5 - 1 compression, stock heads and pistons, mild Bullet cam, Edelbrock Performer 440 intake and a Holley 750 carb. I also have Doug's Headers and MSD 6AI ignition. This is only used for car shows and occasional drives around town. P.S. I like to 'blow the carbon out every once in a while'.

Last edited:
I love these threads! Theres always about 15 different opinions and they all seem to be that the personal plug of choice runs the best! :thumbsup: I run NGK in my small block and thought about switching over to them in my 383 as well. I have Bosch in my 383 right now and they seem to run great despite a lot saying they will run like Poo........Go figure! Now I'll sit back and watch :popcorn:

the autolite 85 is probably the cheapest and easiest way to go. i prefer the champion j11y for iron heads but they are long extinct.

Just to throw this out and see if it sticks...
There was another post last week & I cant remember the title, but someone mentioned that if you are running an MSD box that they recommend using only coper core plugs....
Now Ive probaly wired up 20+ 6A/6Al boxes but for some reason I dont ever remember seeing that...
Ive also put together 5+ entertainment centers, a bunch of kids toys ect and dont read the instructions completely which ultimatley leads to a leftover nut or bolt...lol!
Do I have a leftover "bolt" by not using copper core plugs???
:popcorn:

Last edited:
^^ I am with you on this.......I think a lot of times people go to the easiest thing they changed prior to having the issue instead of finding the problem, whether it be the combination of parts etc. I have a few buddies that will always feed me some malarkey that certain "brands" of oil, plugs, wires, etc. have caused issued. By no means am I saying that some info isn't very useful and helpful, but some things just can't be justified. See now I have heard multiple people say Autolites are garbage in Mopars, so it has to be combinatons of parts and other things fuel etc.....

Just to thrpw thos put and see if it sticks...
There was another post last week & I cant remember the title, but someone mentioned that if you are running an MSD box that they recommend using only coper core plugs....
Now Ive probaly wired up 20+ 6A/6Al boxes but for some reason I dont ever remember seeing that...
Ive also put together 5+ entertainment centers, a bunch of kids toys ect and dont read the instructions completely which ultimatley leads to a leftover nut or bolt...lol!

I've always run Champion RJ12YC plugs and have no complaints.

I've never heard not to run copper plugs with a MSD box (I've been running a MSD-6A for 30 yrs.). However, I HAVE heard to make SURE to run copper plugs (not platinum) when using nitrous oxide....something about platinum electrodes melting... and I'm not sure about iridium.

Just to thrpw thos put and see if it sticks...
Opps, I left off the fact I have an MSD ignition 6AI, Thanks for your response

I've always run Champion RJ12YC plugs and have no complaints.

I've never heard not to run copper plugs with a MSD box (I've been running a MSD-6A for 30 yrs.). However, I HAVE heard to make SURE to run copper plugs (not platinum) when using nitrous oxide....something about platinum electrodes melting... and I'm not sure about iridium.
I also have run Champion RJ12YC plugs in my 440 for many years with an orange module. I've had guys tell me they think Champions are junk but I just smile and say "it's funny I've never had a problem with them". They usually have other problems that have nothing to do with the plugs.

I was told to run Iridium plugs..Thinking about those. Also running complete msd system...

I also have run Champion RJ12YC plugs in my 440 for many years with an orange module. I've had guys tell me they think Champions are junk but I just smile and say "it's funny I've never had a problem with them". They usually have other problems that have nothing to do with the plugs.

Yea some guy has his big block pig rich and blames the plugs for not firing correctly. :lol:

I've put all sorts of different plugs in different engines, no real difference. I've personally used Champions in my own cars for over 40 years.

I was told to run Iridium plugs..Thinking about those. Also running complete msd system...

What I've been told is that the main advantage of moving "up the ladder in price" on spark plugs....copper, platinum, double platinum, iridium, etc. is that the plugs last longer. As I mentioned, I've also been told that you shouldn't run platinum with nitrous or the tips will melt. I've also often heard that "colder" plugs are better for higher performance motors & "hotter" plugs foul less. I wish I knew more about spark plugs.

I believe Champion copper was OEM in Chryslers. I also have run many different types of non-stock plugs in various motors/brands with little/no noticeable difference. BUT.... I have learned that "sometimes" a spark plug manufacturer's cross-over list isn't really "exact". For example, if Bosch doesn't have an exact match for Champion RJ12YC, they'll put their "closest match" in their cross-over chart. Some "matches" are better than others.

Back when I was wrenching for a living (ASE Master Tech for 20 yrs.) I always replaced plugs with the brand the factory installed new and never had any issues.
It's like oil, the engine doesn't know what brand it's using as long as the plugs initiate combustion!
Mike

I believe that thread last week said to use copper because platinum plugs would get to hot. Don't know - have been using ngk and they see run the motor fine....

I have used them all including the expensive racing plugs I use the standard NGK plugs at about $29 a set and have several heat ranges in my jet box.

Just my two cents worth....
I recently purchased 25 sets of NOS Mopar P34P (made by Champion) on the internet at a great price. These are the equivalent of Champion J-11Y, as the original heat range supplied. I will likely resell them at local swap meets.
My GTX's 440 has 11.1 TRW pistons, Crane cam equal to the 292 degree .509 lift purple shaft grind. My ignition system is the tried and true Prestolite dual point distributor. I use Champion UJ-11G (gold pladium non projected nose) gapped at 0.040". Or Champion HO-8A (platinum electrode non projected nose) gapped at 0.035". The plugs were made for the Homlite 2 cycle racing go cart engines running alcohol nitro methane fuel mix and castor oil lubricant and very hard to find but run extremely well in my engine.
Which plugs are best???? This is a never ending battle.....it's like the old saying: " Mom loves me best ".
Bob Renton

Hello everybody.this is my 1st. Posting.i have a question for anyone who might have a solution. I have a 72se charger sport hardtop with a 400 block 1964 426 wedge heads ported and larger exhaust valves,466 lift cam 750 street demon carb.i can put in a set of plugs and runs great for approximately 2 to 3 weeks then plugs start fouling but only the front 4 cylinders.manifold temperature's run about 75 degrees cooler .I can take then out clean them an it will run good for couple days eventually I have to put in another set.everything that has to do with electrical is new along with everything else.my question is does anybody know what could be causing this problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back