• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking to buy a muscle car, why do the dealers have all the nice ones?

:thumbsup:
s-l1600.jpg

I like how they point out its a "large car" lol. Mid-size at best.

If you're looking for a driver, look at Maple Motors in Hendersonville, TN. I stumbled onto them several years ago, long before they went on YouTube.
I would make a point to go by to see the inventory when I would visit my son in Nashville over the years.

And with dealer cars, a close inspection by someone knowledgeable is very much needed.
I think that with any car, a close inspection by someone knowledgeable is very much needed. Helps if you’ve got someone good at that particular model year even.

My current car went through a dealer at one point. Nothing wrong with it, basic survivor. Price story is interesting though. Original owner sold it for $9k (2010?), guy after that sold it to dealer for $12k. Dealer sold it to next buyer for $17.5k. That guy died and left it to friend who sold it to me for $14k (2019). Paying a few more bucks for the right car is ok, getting screwed is not.

Yup every crappy dealer is raising prices. I figure they thing “well barret Jackson does it so why not” that barret Jackson crap really ruined the game.

every crappy car is now suddenly 40-50 and still needs things here and there and if it’s mopar your done, more like 50-60

I keep thinking of getting a 70 fastback mustang and I remember a year ago they were in the 35-45 range now everything’s 60-80
So another car I won’t have. The mustang and the cuda

Pa is 6% on the selling price or "current market value"

Yep, basic sales tax rate. The argument usually comes from that "current market value" statement.

Last edited:
Try getting in your local mopar crowd. Parts are easier to find and so are cars. I think you will find that the prices are much better to.

The dealers ether got it themselves at auction or there a car on consignment where the dealer is looking for “There Cut” since there taking the burden off of the owner. There still worth checking out to make sure they are what they are and to see what the body really holds.

I have been looking around online at what is for sale right now. Prefer to buy from private owner for a couple of reasons. One is a private owner is more likely to be truthful about the true condition, dealers lie. Second is no sales tax due on a private owner sale.

All the nicer cars are listed with dealers. That sucks. They are driving up prices it seems as well.

Rather than Red X everyone that said a Dealer sells bad cars, I sold my OE car through a Dealer here in Florida and bought my original 96 Bronco through a Dealer in San Jose Ca. Both transactions were for "Premium" vehicles that were lucky finds for all involved. Do your homework and accept the blame for a bad purchase.

Car market is up right now, not just a dealer thing.

Just remember if a dealer has it listed for let’s say, $40k, that means they paid low $30’s. That’s probably a lot closer to what it really worth.

Make sure you don’t overlook Hemmings.

You buy a dealer "restoration" you'd better be ready to work no matter how nice it looks when you bring it home! I put almost 400 hours into this one, but she's purdy top and bottom now..
1969dartswinger 025.JPG
1969dartswinger 026.JPG

Finding a right classic car is supposed to be tough. Be patient. And equally important? Be in a position to move fast. I looked for 3 years to find the B-body I desired. (In a price range that wasn't ridiculous.)

Prices in the last 3 years have gone a bit crazy. But stick with the sell by owner publications and sites. Including Craigslist.

Good luck. And good hunting.

Auto Transport Service
Back