• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loud Pipes!! How to lower the sound?

All good suggestions here.

Some specifics about the engine build (if you know), would help with recommendations to best match it. Cam specs, which heads, any porting work and how much, etc.

Also how much quieter are you trying to get it? Is this personal preference or is it something like a conflict with neighbors (or concern of that).

Like as quiet as a stock setup? Quieter? Or quiet compared to other similarly modified hot rods?

I did 3” tti x-pipe with dynomax superturbo mufflers to the bumper; it’s about the same at idle as the 2 1/4” with stock replacement mufflers and dumps at the rear on it before. At higher rpm (no load, in neutral; it’s not a driver yet) its much quieter.

That said by any regular person’s perspective its not a quiet car; think large moving truck. Same engine, so yeah, about what I expected.

My neighbor has already started complaining; saying he can hear it in his house from my garage and has to play loud music to drown it out. Think it’s more about this pandemic quiet and fatigue, than the car TBH.

Anyway will be adding glasspack style mufflers between the bumper and axle; it should take the edge off.

If that’s not enough, I might replace the 3” x-pipe with 2 1/2” (after the headers & before the 3” mufflers). Probably help performance too; 3” is a little overkill for my setup.

MDYbbrDwjhSZajX-800x450-noPad.jpg

:lol:

On a motorcycle yeah def, but slightly louder is more than enough. Is for me.

People in my region are starting to get pissed about it. Dudes people running open pipes or cut-out open in high density areas.

Pretty sure there will be a reporting system here in the next few years.

Anybody annoyed with a smart phone reports your plate in seconds and you have take it in for DB test.
You take it back in for inspection after you’ve removed the remote cut-outs and/or replaced the mufflers.

Not fun; hope the idiots don’t ruin it for the rest of us...

Auto Transport Service
Back