• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower Control Arm is loose where it rotates on the adjuster arm/torsion bar socket piece

Don Frelier

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:02 AM
Reaction score
I pulled the front end apart on my 66 Charger.
The last time was around 1989/90 timeframe.

The passenger side lower was seized up.
After soaking it and beating the adjuster back and forth it freed up.
Maybe too much.

If I clamp it in the vice at the torsion bar socket with the arm extended out horizontally I can move the end probably 1/2" up and down pretty easily.

I'm thinking I'll cut the sway bar bracket arm off and weld it on the arm from my Plymouth and use that instead.

I have the reinforcing plates to weld on the bottom as well.

Any ideas and suggestions?

I remember when I was restoring my coronet I had a hard time finding a set of good lower control arms, and all the ones I did find had no sway bar brackets. I eventually just had a friend who was an old time welder swap the brackets from my toasted originals to the nice clean replacements, he did an amazing job and you'd never know it was not done at the factory. Been on there over 25 years now. ;)

As for the reinforcing plates...I personally don't see the point unless you plan on road racing the car, anything other than that it's seems a waste of money to me.

Are you referring to where the bushing is ? Probably the bushing is bad.

Are you referring to where the bushing is ? Probably the bushing is bad.
There's a lot of movement between the two stamped arms where they rotate on the torsion and pin axis.
I know the strut rod would help but that has bushings as well so it seems like the Lower arm would move forward and back while driving.
So not good for handling.
I think the arm isn't worth using.
But maybe if I squeeze tem together and then weld on the stiffener it would tighten it up?

well.. put that end of the arm in the vice to slightly tighten the end the socket is in then try to move the t-bar socket.. if it's tight you found the issue and put on the reinforcment plates and good to go :)

It was loose so I cut the bracket off.
I just didn't want to trash my original arm of it wasn't necessary.
IMG_20230725_181809969_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230725_182249893_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230725_182305836.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back