• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manual Steering Box

Bold & Old

Deceased, But not forgotton
Local time
11:48 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone..... I am new to Mopars mechanics and need some advise.

I have my 1967 Coronet manual steering box out of the car.

I do not know if it needs to be rebuilt or not. I never had a chance to see if it had any slop in the sector gears when it was on the road many years ago.

Do i take it to a specialty shop for rebuild.... I myself have no experience in rebuilding it.... nor do i want to have such experience.

The car has 60K miles on the odometer

My question is to rebuild or not.... any recommendations? There are no leaks.

Thanks in advance for any replies on the subject.

Mike :thankyou:

60K miles if accurate should not need rebuilt IMO.

I'd pop the plug and if it looks clean inside..no moisture infiltration and its not leaking at the seals. clean it up n reinstall. There is a method to tighten up feel , but get a FSM to outline proceedure. Its probably going to take straight 90W oil. Not gear oil straight 90. I got my oil at a boat repair place. when I changed out my seals.

I also would use John Deere corn head grease. It is good grease and lubricates well.

I know that i have a similar heavy oil in my Dana and 4spd (80/90).

I have never heard of John Deere corn head grease.

Does it have the same viscosity as the 80/90?

I know that i have a similar heavy oil in my Dana and 4spd (80/90).

I have never heard of John Deere corn head grease.

Does it have the same viscosity as the 80/90?
I don't know, when I have those type questions, I opt for what the service manual says. I'm sure there are other good options out there but that (FSM) doesn't fail you. I agree with others that the Ford additive is better than the Mopar additive. Synthetic may be good, but again you can't go wrong with 80-90 in the axle. Steering gear?? (FSM) what is said there??

What is said there, in the FSM, is they were originally filled with grease... oil is for top up during routine service. Wish I'd read that part before I filled my box with 80/90 and watch it weep from the big input nut. I have the corn head grease, just haven't figured out how to empty the box and redo.

Any John Deere dealer will have Corn Head Grease on the shelf. It's in a normal grease gun cartridge.

Or buy a brand new quick ratio unit from James @PST, 16:1 , free shipping and I think a 10% discount for being a member here...about $270 to your door.

It'll be packed full of hardened crud. The FSM and a seal kit/bearing kit from Firm feel is all you need, and a couple tubes of John Deere corn head grease to refill it. If you've got it apart you may as well do the bearings.

Post #258 onward.. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,121731.250.html

Thanks for sending me this great web site with a lot of pictures that i can use as a guide.

I was wondering how to put of humpty dumpty back together again:luvplace:

Or buy a brand new quick ratio unit from James @PST, 16:1 , free shipping and I think a 10% discount for being a member here...about $270 to your door.

Being somewhat new to Mopar ...do you mean the parts for the housing or do you mean a new steering box complete?

Being somewhat new to Mopar ...do you mean the parts for the housing or do you mean a new steering box complete?

So PSTs units are brand new, not re-mfg'ed units. I bought one initially but came across a hydroboost set up so decided to go w/ p-steering to.
I'm sure James will chime in or you can call them directly. They are great people to deal with! The 10% off & free shipping is a great perk. I'm sure FF and SNG have great products as well but from my first transaction w/ PST I've never shopped any others.
Here is an old thread with some pics.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/pst-16-1-manual-steering-box.198929/

The straight 90w grease I got was for lower end units on the bigger outboard boat motors. It flows some, nothing like 80w90 but I can see it sticking to gears inside steering box.

Thanks to all.... I am not sure if i am going to service my gear box now.

I am really considering a new 16.1 ratio gear box....... I got the bug here in this post today...

PST may be the ticket with my big heavy 426.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you start changing manual ratios doesn't it get harder to steer at low speeds??

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you start changing manual ratios doesn't it get harder to steer at low speeds??
IMO, I would rather have higher ratio manual box, in a big block car for ease of turning at low speed. Better yet give me power steering.

I believe the 16:1 is 3-1/2 turns of the wheel lock to lock, someone correct me of I'm wrong but I think a factory box is 5-1/2.
The wheel will be a little heavier but have a quicker response and a lot more feedback.

Auto Transport Service
Back