• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Many questions, few solutions.

twecomm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
Been on the forum for many years now. One thing I have noticed is that when a question or request for help on something is posted, there are many responses with suggestions on what or how to solve the problem which is great. Rarely does the person who started with the question ever post what the solution, or problem actually found was. Think it would be helpful to others that may be having the same issue to know what the solution was. Just my opinion of course... Happy Holidays to all.

That is a good point. I agree.
Sometimes, people get frustrated with their problem and join a forum to harvest as much information as they can. These people may forget to go back to give updates or THANKS to those that took time to offer help.
In the early 2010s, I was dealing with detonation in my 440/493. I posted about it all over the forums, here and at least 3 other boards. I was like an alcoholic that knew what the solution was but was too stubborn to do the right thing and instead...tried less effective "work-arounds" that were cheaper. I may have left a few people out in the cold as to the end results of all the efforts.
I've seen here and other forums where a NEW member just joins and asks for help, then never comes back.
Now, I understand what it is like to be frustrated and in need of help but these guys just strike me as selfish and unworthy. It feels like a guy that joins a church JUST to beg for charity, then disappears once enough people step up and give.
No, I say screw that.
I will gladly help those that engage in some give as well as take but I have quit wasting my efforts on those that only come around to milk the cow without ever feeding it.

The world has come to the gimme the answer now, know it all world. They don't like what they are told and go to the next forum. I honestly try to help but when you do not give the answer they want to hear, they wont answer what you have asked, and move on to the next that is more in line to what they want to hear.

Last edited:
That is a good point. I agree.
Sometimes, people get frustrated with their problem and join a forum to harvest as much information as they can. These people may forget to go back to give updates or THANKS to those that took time to offer help.
In the early 2010s, I was dealing with detonation in my 440/493. I posted about it all over the forums, here and at least 3 other boards. I was like an alcoholic that knew what the solution was but was too stubborn to do the right thing and instead...tried less effective "work-arounds" that were cheaper. I may have left a few people out in the cold as to the end results of all the efforts.
I've seen here and other forums where a NEW member just joins and asks for help, then never comes back.
Now, I understand what it is like to be frustrated and in need of help but these guys just strike me as selfish and unworthy. It feels like a guy that joins a church JUST to beg for charity, then disappears once enough people step up and give.
No, I say screw that.
I will gladly help those that engage in some give as well as take but I have quit wasting my efforts on those that only come around to milk the cow without ever feeding it.
There has been a response, or two when somebody does ask a question sometimes they ,on occasion, respond saying if you don't know ( whatever) you shouldn't be working on anything automotive. I believe somebody was asking about brakes. This person had slotted discs, but reverse mounted where slots were facing backward, and one guy replied with more of an *** chewing instead of pointing out the mistake, and not helping to remedy the situation. I believe some people may be intimidated asking a question for thinking it may be a dumb question, and like I said it's not the majority doing that. Personally if I offer to help ( I'm no expert ) I don't think it's an affront to me if nobody says anything back.

The world has come to the gimme the answer now, know it all world. They don't like what they are told and go to the next forum. I honestly try to help but when you do not give the answer they want to hear, they wont answer what you have asked, and move on to the next that is more in line to what they want to hear.
You are so right. We learned by troubleshooting the basics... starting from the source of the problem and figuring it out as we progressed along. Nowadays, it's " hey, I got this problem, what's the answer ? ". And then, there's arrows shooting all over trying to hit the answer. When you follow a process and a procedure, you become more familiar and more proficient in analyzing possible culprits for the malfunction.

Been on the forum for many years now. One thing I have noticed is that when a question or request for help on something is posted, there are many responses with suggestions on what or how to solve the problem which is great. Rarely does the person who started with the question ever post what the solution, or problem actually found was. Think it would be helpful to others that may be having the same issue to know what the solution was. Just my opinion of course... Happy Holidays to all.
That and they ask a question and then are so stuck on their own intuition that they ignore the advise totally and continue to burn down their car... anyone got a jumper cable?

Last edited:
Another observation... Many posts start right in on describing the problem. No mention of what car, what engine, what transmission, ignition system... well you get the idea. New year coming, maybe posts will have the basic car info starting off and post the solutions..

You are so right. We learned by troubleshooting the basics... starting from the source of the problem and figuring it out as we progressed along. Nowadays, it's " hey, I got this problem, what's the answer ? ". And then, there's arrows shooting all over trying to hit the answer. When you follow a process and a procedure, you become more familiar and more proficient in analyzing possible culprits for the malfunction.
Simple, don't answer any questions, maybe if somebody gets an answer to a problem there is the possibilty that they'll think ; " that was it, I just didn't see it" I don't see the point in having a forum if you don't want to help out fellow hobbyists, no wonder younger generations don't bother with these type of cars, somebody might yell at them to get off their lawn. Maybe the person who gets help, and receives the right info, it gets passed along. I don't know anybody that didn't start working on cars had all the answers when they first picked up a wrench.

Simple, don't answer any questions, maybe if somebody gets an answer to a problem there is the possibilty that they'll think ; " that was it, I just didn't see it" I don't see the point in having a forum if you don't want to help out fellow hobbyists, no wonder younger generations don't bother with these type of cars, somebody might yell at them to get off their lawn. Maybe the person who gets help, and receives the right info, it gets passed along. I don't know anybody that didn't start working on cars had all the answers when they first picked up a wrench.
I know of the "self-appointed know-it-all" you've been referring. Ignore those types. I often read a thread only to find several good thoughtful suggestions already, there's good, knowledgeable people here.

I know of the "self-appointed know-it-all" you've been referring. Ignore those types. I often read a thread only to find several good thoughtful suggestions already, there's good, knowledgeable people here.
Exactly, that's what I am saying too. I skim through the forums, and glean a lot of good information from good people here. I have learned so much from the other members. It's like a living library of information. Just like these cars, the experience is more than valuable.

when a thread fails to follow through

1703433862976.png

I generally try to post a follow up - except those times where my issue was just the result of my own gross stupidity. Then I just try to slink off and go dark.

I generally try to post a follow up - except those times where my issue was just the result of my own gross stupidity. Then I just try to slink off and go dark.
Nah, ya gotta own it. I have done that a few times. I have probably asked a few dumb questions, and I figured I would get razzed for it, and never really did.

I think many times the OP does not know what solved his issue if it was.
Many guys offer up great advice and ideas.
If the OP does not try each idea one at a time the repair ends in the shotgun approach .
Car is now running great I just do not know if it was the......... ? That fixed it.
I've been guilty of that myself before.

Some people asking these questions do not have the same basic mechanical skills that most of us here have been blessed with. Some "problems" are so basic and obvious, that I find myself wondering why these people are even working on a car? I grew up on a farm, and learned through my Dad that you had to develop mechanical skills to keep moving ahead. So many, unfortunately, do not have this type of experience.

Some people asking these questions do not have the same basic mechanical skills that most of us here have been blessed with. Some "problems" are so basic and obvious, that I find myself wondering why these people are even working on a car? I grew up on a farm, and learned through my Dad that you had to develop mechanical skills to keep moving ahead. So many, unfortunately, do not have this type of experience.
That's it right there, they are working on their car to gain knowledge, no? I don't judge people on what they might know, or not know. I feel if I pass something along maybe it will help them. You said blessed with your skill, but contradict yourself by saying your dad helped you gain knowledge. If your father was not in your life due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, how would you have learned? Something may be obvious to you, but did you stop, and think that they are learning? That's why they reach out here on this forum. Some people might not have the good fortune to learn things from their father. Your father sounds like he was a good man. I hope he's still here.

Bullshit.
There are plenty of people that got zero input from their fathers in regards to cars yet still developed skills and knowledge.
My dad liked cars but was not very mechanically inclined. I got scolded for tracking dirt and grease through the house by mom. Then at some point, dad intervened and told her that one day, I may be the one to save them money on repairs.
Dad was right.
I did everything that I could for them before they passed. Their patience and understanding allowed me to develop into my own self.
I didn’t learn about rebuilding engines or bodywork from dad. I jumped in and did it myself, I read car magazines and books, I talked with experienced guys too. It would have been great to grow up with a tool set before leaving high school but that didn’t happen.
When I hear from a guy that buys a classic car despite having zero mechanical ability, it reminds me of a virgin guy that marries a beautiful, experienced woman. That guy either needs to learn real fast what to do or be prepared to let others step in and do it right.
Maybe that is an extreme example but hey….. I have a vivid imagination.

That's it right there, they are working on their car to gain knowledge, no? I don't judge people on what they might know, or not know. I feel if I pass something along maybe it will help them. You said blessed with your skill, but contradict yourself by saying your dad helped you gain knowledge. If your father was not in your life due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, how would you have learned? Something may be obvious to you, but did you stop, and think that they are learning? That's why they reach out here on this forum. Some people might not have the good fortune to learn things from their father. Your father sounds like he was a good man. I hope he's still here.
Yes, blessed with my skill through my Dad and environment. I have always worked in automotive related plants in a position where methodical mechanical problem solving was demanded, and I know that I owe that to my upbringing. I am 76 now, and my Dad was a good man and passed many years ago.

ever watch someone with zero mechanical skills try to use a ratchet? ........ it's painful :popcorn2:

Auto Transport Service
Back