• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Many questions, few solutions.

As a kid I began to learn mechanics from my Dad by watching and being the gofer.
He would let me use his tools as long as I asked and put them away clean when done.
Like most , my 1st project if I recall was working on my bike, seat and handle bars, chain, flat tires ect.
As time past keeping a push mower running fell to me.
Around 10 or 12 I remember dad (letting ) me do a oil change on his pickup.
I grew a couple inchs that day lol.
I was lucky to have older friends eho worked on their own junk plus a job in a DX station as kid.
I've FCKd up alot of parts over the years (learning ).
Who here has not put a set of shift tabs upside down on a manual trans?
Put a clutch disc in *** backwards ?
Blown up a set of valve covers ?
It's been a fun 50 plus years.

I didn’t realize until well up in my teens that my Dad’s education was as a Mechanical Engineer. He had worked as a sales representative and then sales manager for a big brick company from his late 20s on. He was a junior grade lietenant, engine room officer in the Navy in the late days of WWII. I thought he was about the most mechanically disinclined person I knew when I went off to school. He just found something he liked better sales and meeting people.

On the other side of the coin sifting through responses can be difficult for the poster. Especially if their knowledge base is limited. Many times answers are vague or incorrect. It's hard to point out wrong answers without being rude. Worse yet, if the poster doesn't know if an answer is right or wrong. Another observation is the poster wants an easy fix when there isn't one. They will continue to look for a quick easy solution when there isn't one. My take is to ask the poster questions related to the issue to get a better picture of the problem. Whether the answer or not doesn't matter to me. What matters at the end is that the majority of the people following the post learn from it.
Doug

If I get called out on an answer I give that I think is right, I always admit my mistake, and we all learn from it. What I see sometimes is that I see people giving good advise, but the OP will only answer to the answers they want to hear, which most times is not the correct answer. You can’t help folks who don’t want to try things from a different perspective. Lots of times it’s always about the same subjects…..overheating, how something is running or not, where to get items and who to order from. And then go the opposite direction when the consensus is different than what they were just going to do anyway.

The "quick and easy" solution is what some of these one or two time posters are looking for. When they are told they must, as I call, do the dance; ie get out the multi meter, do some diagnostics, or give more specifics, they get frustrated and move along. Our younger members possibly didn't have fathers or friends who were into working on cars, and it's been a long time since auto mech was a course in HS.
I've learned more about how our cars work by just reading these forms, whether I had the same issue or whether I agree with it or not. I guess what I'm trying to say is, we can't assume even what we would consider basic automotive knowledge on the part of the poster, but to try to have them do some basic diagnostics. Some will move on to the next form, the next new part, the next quick fix, but if we can help someone, and get them to start the thought process of what happened and why, I'll take that as a win.
Your mileage may vary.

Mark

Posted something along this line recently with a member who kept asking questions, receiving suggestions, not giving indication of whether he considered or did any…then reposts on the same thread with other questions. Yes, the particular ride, engine and such is always helpful. As would be the condition of the engine, etc. Are we talking about a tired motor, rebuilt, some info on what’s been done concerning the particular symptoms?

Sometimes I’m not sure of how much experience or expertise the poster has so I’ve been inclined to acknowledge this with some of my replies: “This may be elementary, but…”. I could be responding to someone who has more knowledge than I have or one who is working on a vehicle for the first time. I’ve gotten suggestions on something I knew; but didn’t think of it or remember it. Just as equally helpful whether I knew or hadn’t heard of it before.

Suppose par for the course. More difficult to write back and forth than just have a conversation about it. This aside, I try to provide an update one way or the other and offer a thanks to those taking their time to reply as they could be doing something else other than taking their time sharing their advice.

I don't think that there is any wrong questions or wrong answers. I do agree that the poster should fill in all the blanks to the question. Let's not to forget that some are looking for the quick and easy because they have already tired this or that and are just looking to move forward. The poster should bring that to the table so we all can see what have been missed. I believe and see for the most part that answers to questions get the problem solved. I also look and wonder how many are having the work done and not trying to get screwed from the mechanic working on it. In some cases out sourcing is the only fix and the poster is trying to stay ahead of the game. For me reading and then working it out with all your help has put me at ease. I am not afraid to ask the dumb questions thats how I learn. Also I believe that many folks use the pm once they hook up with someone that will work the problem out with them. The forum for me is a tool in which I get great answers as well as ideas of how to make this work or not. But remember not all is equal in the land of the wrench so don't beat on them they are only trying to learn not to mention the poster may have your answer your needing from bodywork, interior etc. So enjoy the builds and thanks for any and all help.

Sometimes answers are given by someone who has never actually encountered the issue themselves. All of us have read something and saw what might be the answer. Or someone answers when they have limited knowledge of the subject matter. This confuses the post even worse. The problem is what is the correct answer? When I get stuck on a repair, car related or otherwise, Google it correct? But I find the amount of incorrect or invalid information is huge. We all get stuck on issues. I answer a lot here. But trust me even after 50 plus years being in the auto repair field and hot rodding there are times when I'm lost.
Doug

I pick and choose which questions to answer to when I see what direction the thread is going. Not enough info is the biggest thing. Along with no pics and no replies when asked for repeatedly as they ignore the correct answers and only reply to what they want to hear. Many times following down the wrong path and there’s no way to bring them back to reality. I’ve had to ask over multiple times for info and pics that fall on deaf ears. Then they start another thread. If they can’t comprehend what we are saying they should ask questions. There are no stupid questions. After all we are here to help our mopar brothers and sisters. And by the way I’m mostly self taught. I’ve went to school for a few newer things. Kim

Last edited:
How about the posts that don't provide info on the car and just start the post with sketchy and partial information. Usually helps to know what car the person is dealing with. And how modified is it beyond stock ?

There is a large segment of people that are well intentioned but uninformed. They chime in with comments of how their uncles boss used to do it…. All the while you’re getting third-hand bad information that provides zero help.

My observation in the First Gen Charger forum for instance, is that many of the "tell me what to do" questions are very basic and easily found in the Service Manual, which they did not bother to obtain. The lazy have to help themselves at some point. Several of the body styles have technical info and tips if they just did a search.
My 2 cents anyway.

I love it when they say it has been a long time since I did this. Translation is you never did it.

All you guys that posted are absolutely right in the ballpark, what I find that gets me is old dated post I respond to, whats the big deal! Have a happy holiday.:thumbsup:

IMG_0001.jpg

I love it when they say it has been a long time since I did this. Translation is you never did it.
I’ve got 4yrs on you.Sometimes it HAS been a long time,lol. Or the memories are hazy.

I always try to give a "thumbs up" or say thanks when I see that someone came back and followed up on a help thread they started even if I wasn't involved in it, to give some positive feedback to folks that do report back on whatever happened.

ever watch someone with zero mechanical skills try to use a ratchet? ........ it's painful :popcorn2:
Yeah but she was only about 9 at the time...except for some whining about how heavy it was, she did pretty good holding it on the bolt on the firewall while I tightened the nut under the dash!

Auto Transport Service
Back