• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Map Light Identification Wire Question

70ChargerRT

Local time
12:46 PM
Reaction score
This is on a my 70 Charger. I’m thinking the black female end goes to the ignition light but can’t think what the other 2 go to.

AB90AD97-664E-48E9-8DCD-84A0D020C7F4.png

That’s the ign. lamp timer, yellow and black would connect to the door pin switch circuit, pink is the un-switched power lead, normally connects to dome lamp power circuit.

lamp timer 1.jpg

lamp timer 2.jpg

Last edited:
It seems 70s got two lights to source with the time delay flasher? I’m pretty sure the ign switch light for 70 and half 71s is the bullet terminal with clear insulator.

;topic=9002.png

Then on lates 71s and laters it changed to packard terminals (light design changed).

Dunno on that harness. Maybe console lights?

bullet male terminal with black rubber is the door jam switch source.

Last edited:
If you look at the yellow circle I made this is the plug for the door jam source I believe and if you look at the schematic runner posted which I’m thinking it’s definitely a different year than 70 because 70 has 4 wires coming off of that timer delay. He’s correct about the pink wire going to the dome light but I was wrong about the black female plug. I’m guessing the clear one goes to the ignition light. So can you use the yellow wire with the male black plug as door switch also? The schematic says it’s going back in the harness and the only thing close it would plug in to is that 3 way female plug that the ashtray light plugs in to and if that’s correct what is that 4th wire I originally thought was the ignition light?

FBAE6CB1-FE63-486D-9F9C-E874EFA19458.jpeg

Ok I was/am a bit confused. The first pic you post with the 3 wires calls it a time delay and the other pic with 4 wires calls it’s a key in buzzer. Im assuming they’re 1 and the same. So the yellow wire I circled is the ignition switch lamp, yellow male bullet plug is the right door switch and the pink goes in the dome light but I’m still not figuring out where the Black Female plug goes. I do apologize I’m not the best at these schematics. Thank you for all of the help.

8D8E039B-1DEB-4B42-BF0B-00B6FE9543F2.jpeg

Ok I was/am a bit confused. The first pic you post with the 3 wires calls it a time delay and the other pic with 4 wires calls it’s a key in buzzer. Im assuming they’re 1 and the same. So the yellow wire I circled is the ignition switch lamp, yellow male bullet plug is the right door switch and the pink goes in the dome light but I’m still not figuring out where the Black Female plug goes. I do apologize I’m not the best at these schematics. Thank you for all of the help.
Not seeing the reference to the key-in buzzer, not related to the time delay relay. As Nacho mentions, other platforms (E-bodies & C-bodies) had other lamps connected to the time delay relay. IE, switch title lamps. They would have two yellow wires doubled up on the output terminal of the 3-terminal time delay relay as yours appears to have. Leads me to believe that harness is not originally from a ’70 B-body as all wiring diagrams in the ’70 factory service manuals for B-bodies (both Dodge & Plymouth) show only the ignition switch lamp, or three wires coming off the time delay relay. Your picture also appears to show an additional harness for what looks like a map light. The diagrams show this to be a separate harness altogether for ’70. You can use this time delay relay harness if necessary, just disregard the extra yellow wire connection.

Last edited:
Not seeing the reference to the key-in buzzer, not related to the time delay relay. As Nacho mentions, other platforms (E-bodies & C-bodies) had other lamps connected to the time delay relay. IE, switch title lamps. They would have two yellow wires doubled up on the output terminal of the 3-terminal time delay relay as yours appears to have. Leads me to believe that harness is not originally from a ’70 B-body as all wiring diagrams in the ’70 factory service manuals for B-bodies (both Dodge & Plymouth) show only the ignition switch lamp, or three wires coming off the time delay relay. Your picture also appears to show an additional harness for what looks like a map light. The diagrams show this to be a separate harness altogether for ’70. You can use this time delay relay harness if necessary, just disregard the extra yellow wire connection.
This harness came out of a 1970 Charger with the A01 light package. Steering column was already gone or Id got the ignition light also. I pulled it out myself years ago, may have forgot a wire or lost it but I just can’t remember what I unplugged it from. I appreciate the information!

71s got the fasten seatbelt light also conected to the time delay flasher, but plug is different for it.

Well for some reason this 70 got the 4 wires also. I pulled this out of a 70, a heater control lamp light that I can’t find and trunk lamp also. I just found a member over at dodge charger . Com and his 70 was wired the same way also just like this and had the L73 seatbelt option

08E40282-BEA0-4B1E-A0CF-B0F65507C959.jpeg

I think the seatbelt light on 70s was a later option, hence why could be not on diagram.

Well for some reason this 70 got the 4 wires also. I pulled this out of a 70, a heater control lamp light that I can’t find and trunk lamp also. I just found a member over at dodge charger . Com and his 70 was wired the same way also just like this and had the L73 seatbelt option
Interesting, after seeing that picture, I remember those lower dash seat belt lamps, the early ’71s were like that as well, before moving up to the map light panel. That explains the 4-wire time delay relay harness, one of the yellow wires would go to that warning lamp. A bit surprised frankly the ’70 Charger FSM has no reference at all to a seat belt warning light, the FSMs are usually pretty accurate.

I know that car and my car were late builds. I remember it being built on the same month as mine which was on the 6th month and mine being 6-26-70. Notice my G-36 racing mirrors which was a super late intro in 70. I’m sure some guys at the registry would know but that harness came out of a 70 F8 Charger 500. I got the tail light panel off of it also because somebody drilled holes in mine lol.

4909C6C5-4F20-496A-9909-265C3F65F84F.png

Auto Transport Service
Back