• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master Cylinder Push Rod

Red63440

Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
When I changed out my single pot master cylinder I noticed there was a short bolt screwed into the end of the rod. Just wondering if that was what was supposed to be there. I will be doing a disk brake conversion in the near future and if what I saw wasn’t right I would like to change it, the car is a 1964 Plymouth Fuey.
Thanks!

When I changed out my single pot master cylinder I noticed there was a short bolt screwed into the end of the rod. Just wondering if that was what was supposed to be there. I will be doing a disk brake conversion in the near future and if what I saw wasn’t right I would like to change it, the car is a 1964 Plymouth Fuey.
Thanks!
Sounds like an adjustable pushrod?

It appeared to have the original MC on it so I don’t have a clue….

Do you mean on the pedal end? The ‘64’s have that projection to bump the brake light switch. A later rod might need something to add length to do the same.

No this is on the master cylinder end not the pedal end. The rod is threaded and I assumed (yes I know) that the adjustable end would be ground to fit into the hole in the piston of the master cylinder instead of just a hex head bolt. Sorry, no photos, just use your imagination :lol:
Nate, what was on the end of the rod in your 64?

If you have power brakes, it is normal for the end that sticks out of the booster, to have that adjustment.

If you have power brakes, it is normal for the end that sticks out of the booster, to have that adjustment.
Should it just be a flat hex head bolt or should it be an acorn head that will actually fit into the MC piston. I also forgot to mention that this is on a power brake car.

If you have PB there's an acorn nut on end of rod to adjust the clearance to the MC piston.

If you have PB there's an acorn nut on end of rod to adjust the clearance to the MC piston.
That nut is gone, in its place is a short hex head bolt locked with a nut?

Last edited:
I checked Brewers and they don’t have one available for 64 power brake system, just manual. Is that a nut or a bolt with a acorn shaped end locked with a nut?

If you have bolt in there now find out what the thread is. Buy an acorn nut and a short screw. You need to make sure acorn nut fits hole in MC. It acorn nut fits cut head off the screw loctite cut end into acorn nut . Done.

If you have bolt in there now find out what the thread is. Buy an acorn nut and a short screw. You need to make sure acorn nut fits hole in MC. It acorn nut fits cut head off the screw loctite cut end into acorn nut . Done.
Let me ask this, could I use an Allen head bolt with the correct threads and then round the end to fit into the MC?

Auto Transport Service
Back