• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master cylinder push rod

Local time
2:18 AM
Reaction score
Switching to a dual master on my 62 Sport Fury. Haven 't pulled the old single yet Unsure as to what push rod it has. It's not the original master. Do I really need the rod with extension on the bolt end for the brake light switch? I have a new piston retainer, spring and boot but not the retainer ring for the spring. Also have the lines and brass block. Any info is welcome . Thanks

I've changed MC's several times and which MC makes a huge difference. I've found that basic/standard/off the shelf MCs have the same cylinder depth so the push rod works pretty well from one to another. However, when I moved to a Wilwood MC that required a new pushrod, but it was adjustable. Therefore, my initial thought is to pull your MC and confirm the depth of the MC and then compare to the new MC. If different, then consider purchasing an adjustable rod.

Thanks. I'm trying to stay away from an adjustable. (cheapskate)Can you advise on anyplace that might have the retainer disc for the external spring on the rod. As of now sometimes I have to lift the pedal so my brake lights turn off. Really just need to crawl under the dash and see what kind of rod and what's on it. Thanks for the info.

Doorkicker, Got under the dash. I have the correct pushrod, a worn dust boot and the piston retainer. No spring or attaching disc. I have everything new but the disc. I have a trusted shop doing the changeover. No place at home. Have to get creative and rig something functional. Thanks again

Switching to a dual master on my 62 Sport Fury. Haven 't pulled the old single yet Unsure as to what push rod it has. It's not the original master. Do I really need the rod with extension on the bolt end for the brake light switch? I have a new piston retainer, spring and boot but not the retainer ring for the spring. Also have the lines and brass block. Any info is welcome . Thanks

I reused the original pushrod on my '62. Check out this thread...

Post in thread 'Dual Master Cylinder Upgrade for '63 Dodge 330' Dual Master Cylinder Upgrade for '63 Dodge 330

Post in thread 'Taking Up New Residence' Taking Up New Residence

A '67 MC might be a good match also. It has the clip with the bolt instead of the wire clip.

The spring retainer for the rod might be found in a rebuild kit. I found a nos kit on ebay. Joe Shusy or Kramer might be a contact for one also.

Might have to cross ref this...
Screenshot_20230901_222850_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230901_222909_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks man, appreciate the info. The only thing I need now is the spring retainer clip. New or used . Almost bought a master single pot on Ebay just to get the right pushrod and clip. My car has the right pushrod. No clip. No spring on the one in the car. The search continues. Thanks again.

@William Krasovec go check out inlinetube... they have several MC parts in the "small parts" section of the site. There are a couple connector assemblies and spring sets.

@William Krasovec go check out inlinetube... they have several MC parts in the "small parts" section of the site. There are a couple connector assemblies and spring sets.
Nothing at Inline. Car has been in the shop two days. Front cylinders leaked ,soaked shoes. Rear cylinders full of gunk. New fronts . Only ones in Omaha. No rear cylinders. Rebuilding them .Tying up mechanic 's shop. Only car he's working on. Bought new stud on E-Bay. Mounting holes in 4 different M/C too big for studs bought on line. None at any local supplier Using common bolts. Not pretty but works. Had to get different M/C. Couldn't get inlet for rear brake line tight. Leaked. Bad M/C. Mechanic says he won't work on any old cars after this one is done. Can't blame him. My poor maintenance on a car we don't drive enough. Get out there and drive these cars!

Nothing at Inline. Car has been in the shop two days. Front cylinders leaked ,soaked shoes. Rear cylinders full of gunk. New fronts . Only ones in Omaha. No rear cylinders. Rebuilding them .Tying up mechanic 's shop. Only car he's working on. Bought new stud on E-Bay. Mounting holes in 4 different M/C too big for studs bought on line. None at any local supplier Using common bolts. Not pretty but works. Had to get different M/C. Couldn't get inlet for rear brake line tight. Leaked. Bad M/C. Mechanic says he won't work on any old cars after this one is done. Can't blame him. My poor maintenance on a car we don't drive enough. Get out there and drive these cars!

Sounds like you took it to the wrong mechanic. Old guys enjoy working on these cars. Brings back memories and it's a break from the newer junk.

Sounds like you took it to the wrong mechanic. Old guys enjoy working on these cars. Brings back memories and it's a break from the newer junk.
He runs a 71 Cuda.. He works on the cars for a friend that buys/sells Mopar muscle on line. Guess he's tired of trying to locate certain parts.

Auto Transport Service
Back