• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master cylinder removal help

Duckmanreno

Local time
1:17 AM
Reaction score
805D21CE-64BD-4DF2-9758-6827B93FB7EF.jpeg
69 Charger 4 wheel drums, 4 speed .
Trying to remove master cylinder. Only 1 nut will come off ,3 others spin like they are stripped. Don’t know what type of stud/bolt these are. Seemed like a simple change when I replaced it many years ago. So I assume an opus to take the whole mounting plate off the firewall?
Forgive me as I’m traveling now and not near the car. My dad is working on this

Last edited:
The splines in the master cylinder are stripped. I think they are accessible from the inside. A small pair of vise grips on the bolt head will stop them from spinning.

Those are pressed in studs (no head on the m/c side, right?) So the nuts are on the inside. I'd be surprised if the splines are shot - I think you would have stripped the threads or snapped the stud off before the splines would strip. BUT it sounds like that's the case. grind or burn the heads off on the m/c side then knock 'em through.

If dad has a helper have the helper push down on master to jamb top studs and pull up for bottom studs. May need to loosen top some then do bottom some then back to top etc.

Those are pressed in studs (no head on the m/c side, right?) So the nuts are on the inside. I'd be surprised if the splines are shot - I think you would have stripped the threads or snapped the stud off before the splines would strip. BUT it sounds like that's the case. grind or burn the heads off on the m/c side then knock 'em through.
I appreciate everyone’s fast response.

No the studs are pushed in from inside the car, the nuts are on the master cylinder/engine side. There is also a plate between the master cylinder and firewall .
Maybe the studs are not original, I bought car in the early 80’s.
It appears grinding cutting off the studs is the best option..
I appreciate any more input.
Thanks Joe

With nuts on outside no helper needed. Those studs are supposed to be in master they don't grab onto sheet metal. Soak studs in penitentiary :D oil. Clamp a vise-grip on heads of studs on inside of car. Plate is to keep firewall from flexing .

Last edited:
I'd still try using the master cylinder to jam the studs while loosening nuts. If car has bucket seats remove drivers seat. Even a bench seat can be removed just open passengers side and just hang it out of door.

Good news my dad was able to remove the master cylinder. According to him there were two studs pressed in from inside the car and two thru bolts. All the nuts were in the engine side. He was able to get the nuts off 3 and had to cut one bolt by hand.
Now waiting for new master cylinder to arrive.
Thanks for all the help!

The new master probably won't have the studs. Buy some new ones?

Auto Transport Service
Back