• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

master cylinder

clazar

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:51 PM
Reaction score
I have a 70 RR with 440+6, factory power frt disc brakes. Where can I find a suitable replacement master cylinder??? I'm having a heck of time finding one.

Chuck

Have you checked with The Ram Man?

Just as an example....
Autozone part#M1404 (alternate part#10-1404) $31.99 rebuilt/lifetime warranty for front power disc 70 Roadrunner 440+6. I'm sure the other similar parts stores have them too.

I added an Autozone Master Cylinder this weekend to my 69 Coronet. Its for a Disc Front and Drum Rear. Think I payed $19.00-ish for it. The core was more than the Master Cylinder but I am keeping the one I took off.

CAM00559_zps6ca47292.jpg

Just as an example....
Autozone part#M1404 (alternate part#10-1404) $31.99 rebuilt/lifetime warranty for front power disc 70 Roadrunner 440+6. I'm sure the other similar parts stores have them too.

I previously checked that mc & was told it's for a hemi engine car with power discs & rear drums. I think it has a bigger bore 1 1/8 vs 1 inch for the 440 cars. ???? Is that correct ?

Chuck

So if you find someone at NAPA worth a dam they can search by bore size and fit you with a master cylinder. Would emagine any other parts store can do the same if you can find someone that knows how.

I've had really bad luck with the newer aftermarket master cylinders as far as durability. They're all Chinese castings now including NAPA. I had two of NAPA's finest fail within 5 years. I've had at least one rebuilt unit that was nonfunctional out of the box. My advice if you go that route is to make sure & keep your warranty info & get used to changing out on a regular basis. I gave up & had the original SS sleeved & used NOS internals. Maybe the Ram Man guy is OK?

I previously checked that mc & was told it's for a hemi engine car with power discs & rear drums. I think it has a bigger bore 1 1/8 vs 1 inch for the 440 cars. ???? Is that correct ?

Chuck

Well Clazar, I'm not exactly sure. I "think" that Hemi's came standard with power front disc, but I had no idea there was anything different about the master cylinders themselves (just offset bracket or something for the power booster to clear the driver's valve cover or something like that). Also, I don't "think" there's a "special" Hemi master cylinder. If you get stuck, then I think I have an old (15+ yrs.) new-in-the-box master cylinder that I hadn't really thought about selling...but if your stuck, let me know. I think the Autozone/Advance/NAPA ones are fine. It seems to work perfectly on my car (the Autozone one) and I have power front disc brakes.

Well Clazar, I'm not exactly sure. I "think" that Hemi's came standard with power front disc, but I had no idea there was anything different about the master cylinders themselves (just offset bracket or something for the power booster to clear the driver's valve cover or something like that). Also, I don't "think" there's a "special" Hemi master cylinder. If you get stuck, then I think I have an old (15+ yrs.) new-in-the-box master cylinder that I hadn't really thought about selling...but if your stuck, let me know. I think the Autozone/Advance/NAPA ones are fine. It seems to work perfectly on my car (the Autozone one) and I have power front disc brakes.[/QUOTE

Thank you for the offer. I'm not stuck for one, it's i'm just replacing some old things with new things. A local Napa & Advance place has told me that the master cylinders are different for a hemi car. They didn't say they wouldn't fit, just they have different part #'s.
But the Hemi ones have a bigger bore & I don't know if appearance makes a difference also. The rear assembly sticks out on a hemi one, not with the 440 one.

Chuck

You will also find the 70 disc brake cylinder has the lines on the engine side of the resorvior.

Attachments

• h556.jpg
    h556.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 306
You will also find the 70 disc brake cylinder has the lines on the engine side of the resorvior.

Superbird may be a wildcard for this but normally '70 B power disc cars with wedge had brake lines on driver side. Believe the hemi cars were on engine side & this was the difference between the 2 MC part #'s, both had 1-1/8" cylinders.

Superbird may be a wildcard for this but normally '70 B power disc cars with wedge had brake lines on driver side. Believe the hemi cars were on engine side & this was the difference between the 2 MC part #'s, both had 1-1/8" cylinders.

All Hemi master cylinders lines exited the fender side !

All Hemi master cylinders lines exited the fender side !

You are correct on that, my error. Did some further research in my parts books & original P/N's are 2944476 (hemi) & 2944477 (wedge). Pics of NOS parts show hemi had outboard fittings & wedge inboard. My survivor '70 exits on outboard, has 100% untouched brake lines although I replaced the old MC some 20 years ago. Maybe some midyear change? Different plant variation? Who knows?

Last edited:
You are correct on that, my error. Did some further research in my parts books & original P/N's are 2944476 (hemi) & 2944477 (wedge). Pics of NOS parts show hemi had outboard fittings & wedge inboard. My survivor '70 exits on outboard, has 100% untouched brake lines although I replaced the old MC some 20 years ago. Maybe some midyear change? Different plant variation? Who knows?

All birds are like this !

BRAKES
Power disc brakes arrived as standard equipment. The cast iron rotors measure 11.75 inches in diameter and feature forty air slots cut into the outer edge to assist cooling. This particular rotor, used only in 1970, was also used on E-body models and will not interchange with other model years due to varying hubs. The rear drums, when matched with disc brakes, measure 10 inches in diameter, rather than the standard 11 inches, which also required special rear axles, covered earlier.

Two different master cylinders were utilized, mated to two different boosters. According to Mopar expert Frank Badalson, Superbirds equipped without the 426 Hemi contained a tall-style master cylinder stamped with the part number 2944477. "The fluid lines are attached from the inboard side, meaning the side that faces the engine," recalls Badalson. "Hemi-equipped Superbirds use a different master cylinder, part number 2944476, easily identified by the fact that the fluid lines attach to the outboard side--the side facing the front fender."

As with any other car with potential rust issues, the brake system is not immune to damage. Rear drums, hoses, and preformed brake lines are available. Front rotors, it seems, may be more difficult to come by. Master and wheel cylinders can be rebuilt with relative ease.

Two different master cylinders were utilized, mated to two different boosters. According to Mopar expert Frank Badalson, Superbirds equipped without the 426 Hemi contained a tall-style master cylinder stamped with the part number 2944477. "The fluid lines are attached from the inboard side, meaning the side that faces the engine," recalls Badalson. "Hemi-equipped Superbirds use a different master cylinder, part number 2944476, easily identified by the fact that the fluid lines attach to the outboard side--the side facing the front fender."

Have learned over the years never say never as far as stuff goes with these old cars. My 70 has any number of items that were not supposed to be. For example, it came with exhaust tips despite this not being allowed on CA cars. Out of curiosity I dug up my crusty old original M/C from the attic, it's Bendix casting # 2225621 which is supposed to be used on 67-69 hemi cars. I replaced it in early 90's. I kept everything, even the original old brake hoses. The different M/C may have to do with the early build date (Oct-69). Incidentally I used a rebuilt unit back then & it's still going strong over 20 years later so I guess I got lucky on that one.

Have learned over the years never say never as far as stuff goes with these old cars. My 70 has any number of items that were not supposed to be. For example, it came with exhaust tips despite this not being allowed on CA cars. Out of curiosity I dug up my crusty old original M/C from the attic, it's Bendix casting # 2225621 which is supposed to be used on 67-69 hemi cars. I replaced it in early 90's. I kept everything, even the original old brake hoses. The different M/C may have to do with the early build date (Oct-69). Incidentally I used a rebuilt unit back then & it's still going strong over 20 years later so I guess I got lucky on that one.

Thanks for the info 396 Signet. I wish I would have gotten to you area to see your car last summer. My RR also was the LA built car with the exhaust tips in early nov 69. My car's in very decent shape. I'm trying to replace non original items with some new ones so I know how good or how long they've been on the car. So what mc does everyone think I should be using for my car. It doesn't matter to me if the lines come out dr or pass side. I would like to stay original as possible. I just recently changed to ss lines all around for longevity.

Chuck

- - - Updated - - -

BRAKES
Power disc brakes arrived as standard equipment. The cast iron rotors measure 11.75 inches in diameter and feature forty air slots cut into the outer edge to assist cooling. This particular rotor, used only in 1970, was also used on E-body models and will not interchange with other model years due to varying hubs. The rear drums, when matched with disc brakes, measure 10 inches in diameter, rather than the standard 11 inches, which also required special rear axles, covered earlier.

As with any other car with potential rust issues, the brake system is not immune to damage. Rear drums, hoses, and preformed brake lines are available. Front rotors, it seems, may be more difficult to come by. Master and wheel cylinders can be rebuilt with relative ease.

Question for everyone on the rotor issue also. I have 2 spare Wagner rotors #60230. Are these the correct ones ???

Chuck

It actually DOES matter if the lines are on the engine side vs. fender side -- the engine sides lines were recalled because they were too close to the exhaust manifolds -- and FAILED miserably when they got too hot (vapor lock scenario)....
The master cylinder that the one guy has illustrated is INCORRECT -- that is the 1971 - 1973 Master Cylinder --- works in a pinch -- but you will have only 60 % braking rather than 100%...
Give me a call in a little while -- I will confirm or deny whether the 60230 Wagner is correct -- I only know the Century and Aimco #s off the top of my head -- call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935... New York.....

- - - Updated - - -

I am in the library to use computer -- I don't have 1 .... I should be here an hour or so ----
You can call me after that....... Craig...

thanks mobileparts. wiil call appx 4 pm

Chuck

Auto Transport Service
Back