• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max Performance Mufflers?

All Aluminum Exhaust Systems

View attachment 1272836
Here's an early in development image of my all aluminum exhaust system complete with aluminum Dyno-flow style mufflers. Weighs 22 Lbs or so complete. Quieted down the cars exhaust note as well.

IMG_0743-3.jpg

hooker aero mufflers
Again, some of the best sounding I know of.
I have 40 series Flowmaster mufflers 3" (matches the exhaust diameter) that came with the car.
Honestly, at Cruisin the Coast or rollin' into a show, I like to open my cutouts.
BUT
That gets old on a long ride, and I haven't noticed a performance difference.

Here's an early in development image of my all aluminum exhaust system complete with aluminum Dyno-flow style mufflers. Weighs 22 Lbs or so complete. Quieted down the cars exhaust note as well.

View attachment 1272935
I was admiring your exhaust system. How is it working? Is it worth the time, and expense?

I was admiring your exhaust system. How is it working? Is it worth the time, and expense?
This car was in my garage yesterday. Sounds great. Actually pretty quiet. So far no issues. As with all his stuff. Trick and home made. Very cool car.
Doug

This car was in my garage yesterday. Sounds great. Actually pretty quiet. So far no issues. As with all his stuff. Trick and home made. Very cool car.
Doug
Thank you DVW. Was honored to be in your lair. Learned so much in your presence.
My car still has them on and running, no issues or cracking at all. Quieted the the note by a good amount, but have no flow numbers to post or boast other than weight numbers. 3.5 at the collectors and then transition down to 3" right after the aluminum X pipe onwards to the muffs. Lightweight it is and the cost was costly in time to fabricate more than $. 22 LBS complete for the whole system which starts right after the collectors where the temps are more friendly to aluminum. Mufflers are strictly all aluminum and based on the ultra Flow muff that almost all the F.A.S.T guys use.
As far as sourcing, I went to my local speed shop (S&K Speed) where they have almost every size aluminum tube available for the the Turbo clan. Muffs were made to my specs by unobtanium out in Canada. I was too lazy and busy at the same time to make 'em myself and plus I did not have the welding sources available at the time like I now have.

Last edited:

View attachment 1272935
That’s one very light exhaust build. Very nice work! And it’s less than 1/4 the weight of my system. On my car I started out with 3” through Dyno Max Ultra flow mufflers but even before I heard it run I replaced it with a 4” system using Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers. That idea came from after seeing pics of my buddies 4” exhaust build. And when he told me that the entire system was a 7HP drop from open headers (950HP) I knew what I had to do.
F9663E1C-91C0-45DF-B2ED-E0AD2A9B7B88.png

The finished set up is about 108lbs. Yeah it’s still pretty loud even with the race bullets but so far it’s only been thumbs up during cruises. The difference (according to my pal) is that with a 2 muffler 4” system, most alarms are set off and with 4 mufflers it’s a few.
B0C05C7C-8100-4866-95C3-EED4AD0B9D75.png

Angled the tips to keep the bars clean. The bars came off anyways, they bounce and bang around back there like a trunk full of loose junk. Now after seeing Fullmetaljacket’s gorgeous aluminum set up, it could be back to the drawing board. .

That’s one very light exhaust build. Very nice work! And it’s less than 1/4 the weight of my system. On my car I started out with 3” through Dyno Max Ultra flow mufflers but even before I heard it run I replaced it with a 4” system using Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers. That idea came from after seeing pics of my buddies 4” exhaust build. And when he told me that the entire system was a 7HP drop from open headers (950HP) I knew what I had to do.
View attachment 1368782

The finished set up is about 108lbs. Yeah it’s still pretty loud even with the race bullets but so far it’s only been thumbs up during cruises. The difference (according to my pal) is that with a 2 muffler 4” system, most alarms are set off and with 4 mufflers it’s a few.
View attachment 1368783
Angled the tips to keep the bars clean. The bars came off anyways, they bounce and bang around back there like a trunk full of loose junk. Now after seeing Fullmetaljacket’s gorgeous aluminum set up, it could be back to the drawing board. .
I have a similar set-up to Malex's, on one of my cars. I'm sure it's around a hundred pounds. I think I'm going to experiment with the lighter set I used on the other car, 3 1/2 aero's, just to the axle. I'm betting I can prune 50 lbs off what I'm using now.
The 3 1/2 aeros were quiet enough, but I had about half as much engine as Malex, lol.

I have a similar set-up to Malex's, on one of my cars. I'm sure it's around a hundred pounds. I think I'm going to experiment with the lighter set I used on the other car, 3 1/2 aero's, just to the axle. I'm betting I can prune 50 lbs off what I'm using now.
The 3 1/2 aeros were quiet enough, but I had about half as much engine as Malex, lol.
Thank you much fellas. My prior, prior system was made up of stock steel tubing and Ultra-Fows that ended just before the rearend. It weighed in the neighborhood of 65 or so pounds. The next system was made up of super lightweight wafer thin 321 stainless tubing and factory Ultra-flow straight throughs. It was a tad lighter to the tune of 38-1/2 lbs and then came the idea of an aluminum system based the tubing the Turbo guys use for plumbing their hairdryers. This system combined with the aluminum Ultra's comes in at 22 LBS. Anymore lighter than that and I might as run open headers.
Funny enough, any tail pipes may help quiet the whole 8 piece bongo band up front, but adds extra weight advantageously at the rear. Heavy or not, a proper flowing exhaust will give you sweet cookies. So many muffs out there to choose from for sound effects, but only a few will help the air pump breathe better for optimum output.

Last edited:
I took a Dyno max race series bullet muffler, cut in half and made 2 mufflers from one using Marmon flanges to clamp them to my headers.

rsz_20160713_164732_002.jpg

I took a Dyno max race series bullet muffler, cut in half and made 2 mufflers from one using Marmon flanges to clamp them to my headers.

View attachment 1371181
That’s some ingenuity right there. Do they reduce sound much? Is there any change in ET?
A few weeks ago I dug out some SS Tips that I had up in storage and changed things up a touch. Now I may be revisiting that based on reading your results.
CEFC0D20-5E7C-44DE-8841-82DFA8902747.jpeg

Malex, do you run your 64 corked,or open?
My local track "requires" mufflers, but enforcement is nonexistent. The other possible tracks I could use allow open headers, depending on the event.

Malex, do you run your 64 corked,or open?
My local track "requires" mufflers, but enforcement is nonexistent. The other possible tracks I could use allow open headers, depending on the event.
No restrictions at our track. I like the idea of less noise but without the weight factor. 6PK’s set up sure is appealing to me.

No restrictions at our track. I like the idea of less noise but without the weight factor. 6PK’s set up sure is appealing to me.
Yeah, I'll bet the noise reduction is minor at best..... but so is the weight. Not much horsepower loss either.

That’s some ingenuity right there. Do they reduce sound much? Is there any change in ET?
A few weeks ago I dug out some SS Tips that I had up in storage and changed things up a touch. Now I may be revisiting that based on reading your results. View attachment 1371193
A little bit of sound reduction no loss in E.T. or MPH.

Auto Transport Service
Back