• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

max wedge carburetors

i did run the max motor that way last year with the crossram and 3705's and it ran more than fine, instant acceleration. no back fire, no paint being burned,,i mean if u have something to say ................................................
The 3705 carb run fine they were designed specifically by Mopar for the Max wedge. The point is the AVS carbs do not have a large range of adjustment and all way tight on the spring = The still open quicker than the 3705 that have a heavy Weight on the secondary side - Which will cause tuning issues with no available Secondary Accelerator pump to smooth the opening transition. The Max Wedge intake with limited interconnection in
the runners from Bank to Bank = has always been prone to a Backfire than most other intakes. That was the point I was trying to make with a bit of humor -
Not an attack on your abilities.

You asked a question on this forum and asked for our opinions and advise =
I attempt to answer it honestly as I could to the Best of my Knowledge of
my 60 years of Racing these cars.

Try the AVS carbs and let us know how work they in this application.

Last edited:
for you guys that want good info on your Max Wedges, talk to Jerry Stein of TEACHERS PET fame. He has complete motors, aluminum front ends, many tried and proven parts and info, and yes he uses the new carbs over the old ones from 62-64. You will find him on FaceBook

The cars he races have extremely loose converters = About 6000 Stall speed
much different than a street and strip car or

Last edited:
That was the point I was trying to make with a bit of humor -
Not an attack on your abilities.
no problem,,bought 2 650 cfm #1905 avs2's yesterday from autozone,,they were 25.00 a carb less than summit! the principal's sound since they all basicly tune the same. so its now a matter of getting the strip kits for them since what i can find my carter 201 kits wont work ?

and my converter is a 4400 stall dynamic unit, i can wing the throttle driving down the road and the car does not lurch forward, but also does not slip at highway speeds,
dvorak.jpg
what with positive fin angles..modern technology, ya gotta love it. and this multi-page instruction manual from dvorak on the max wedge tuning was money well spent,, iwas just wondering if anybody had any hands on experiance with these new carbs other than the rumor mill called the internet,.thanks !

I would like to read that Dvorak manual! Where'd ya get it?
chrysler power magazine,,july 2012 issue. i have it in pdf form but i dont think i can unpack it here to display..its not a photo. Or u can get it directly from there website as a download. its only a dollar. if somebody here knows how to show the pdf here i will do it for free.

https://cpwebstore.com/Magazines/Best-of-CP

chrysler power magazine,,july 2012 issue. i have it in pdf form but i dont think i can unpack it here to display..its not a photo. Or u can get it directly from there website as a download. its only a dollar. if somebody here knows how to show the pdf here i will do it for free.

https://cpwebstore.com/Magazines/Best-of-CP
Thanks Stage 3!!! I'm sure I have that magazine, the trick will be to find it!
Keep trying to figure out how to post it here, if you can. Thanks again!

I did try the Carbs a couple year back. I did have nothing but problems and realy did
burn some paint on the hood. I have owned 8 Max Wedge cars in last 60 years.
The last one a 1963 Dodge 330 SS/FA = I sold to the owner of Firm Feel Suspension a
couple of years back. It liked 106 Primaries but the Metering rods on AVS are way different.
I ran a 92 in secondary and an 86 in short side. But this was strictly a race car.

It liked 106 Primaries but the Metering rods on AVS are way different.
i read they r 3 step vs the older afb's which r 2 step,,rumor has it u can use the 2 step units as long as u use the corresponding jets..trying to clear my work bench so i can unbox them and take a good look..thanks.
IMG_0839.JPG

Is the retainer that hold them in a different shape = One is Flat and the other
Cupped? I seem to recall that but of course I am very old!

Is the retainer that hold them in a different shape = One is Flat and the other
Cupped? I seem to recall that but of course I am very old!
its flat. same as my 3705's.

looks like somebody likes them,,

First is NHRA drag racer Steve Wann who most recently capped off the 2018 drag racing season with a Super Stock victory at the NHRA Finals at Pomona. Capturing a national event Wally is no simple task and Wann credits the improved performance and consistency in the familiar white-on-blue “Mr. 413” 1962 Plymouth Sport Fury to his dual Edelbrock carbs equipped with Annular Flow Boosters.

Steve-Wann-2018-Pomona-SS-winner.jpg

2018 NHRA Finals Super Stock champion Steve Wann powering his 1962 Plymouth Sport Fury to a national event victory with a pair of Edelbrock carbs featuring Annular Flow Booster Rings.

Wann said, “They were worth almost 10 horsepower on the dyno when I was in Bowling Green, Kentucky. I tested on Monday and they were .400 to .500 quicker than my other carburetors. I tested again and did a back-to-back at Indy and had the same results. They also made the car a lot more consistent on ETs.”

I suspect what Mr. Wann said, was that they were 4 to 5 hundredths quicker, ( .040-.050) not .400 to.500. Lol.

It is commonplace to change the booster to a later version on the older Carter carbs.
My problem was the AVS Secondary adjustment operation working well.

It is commonplace to change the booster to a later version on the older Carter carbs.
My problem was the AVS Secondary adjustment operation working well.
except that they wont interchange with the older 3705's,,they have single tube booster's and the avs annular's have multiple tubes going down into the carb body...the article says he's using edelbrock annular's, cant find a pic anywhere of his motor to see.

I know a lot of Stock Racers are running them in their Carter Carb Combos
I do not know what they may have to do = All 7 of our Stock/Superstock
cars are running Thermoquads which I prefer. You do want the booster to
fall into the engine.

I know Steve does do the Carbs for most of the fast Carter Stockers in
our part of the country. His services are available to purchase and often
have a significant waiting list.

The cars he races have extremely loose converters = About 6000 Stall speed
much different than a street and strip car or
Jerry Stein does a bunch of street motors and street motors don't have the 6000 stall speed. All the east coast guys usually shared info and for many many years held most of the Max Wedge class records.

Auto Transport Service
Back