• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical Clunking, stutters, stalls

Mopar-Charger

Local time
4:45 AM
Reaction score
The Engine:

Mopar 360
750 holley
Ported + 2.02 heads
Air Gap RPM intake
Headers
High volume oil pump
Stock rockers
727 TF tranny

Here's the problem. I can get the car to idle fine, however with any gas in D, the car stutters and sounds real loud but no rpms. Almost like you give gas just to keep it alive. Then when you let off the gas, it drops down to 300 RPM and nearly dies. Have to keep tapping to the gas to move. However, in park, it runs fine.

Second problem is there is this clunking noise from the engine. It's random but it's loud and there. you can feel if you put your hand on the engine.

Engine was rebuilt prior to this problem. All stated in the description is what was added. Ran fine for about a week. then out of no where started doing this. I swapped the plugs, Set the timing right 10-12 initial 34 total. Idled fine, but as soon as it went into gear it was loud almost like a "pop" every combustion rather than a nice idle.

I'm stumped. For those who have followed my other thread about the rockers not oiling, i fixed that and got her running again to this. Not sure where to go.

Only in drive. I thought it was flex plate too, but I checked it early on and the bolts were tight.

I just went back out. tried to turn it over and it spit out the carb

Moved the timing about 15 degrees retard, and she fired up and running as we speak. How would it advance 15 degrees without me unbolting it and changing it?

Intake Vacuum leak maybe. Have you done Compression test on motor Did you take the Valve covers off to see if anything is broken or loose.

I had the valve covers off, nothing wrong with them. I was thinking intake leak too. Any idea how to check that?

I had the valve covers off, nothing wrong with them. I was thinking intake leak too. Any idea how to check that?
Get a can of carb cleaner and spray around the intake to head seal. If there is a leak you will notice an rpm change when it sucks in the carb cleaner.

Has the front of the motor ever been apart? I had a 318 in a scamp that had the timing advance 10 degrees out of nowhere on me. I was driving home from work when it did it. The next day i set the timing back. A few days after that, when trying to go to work, it wouldnt start. The cam gear has nylon over the teeth that the timing chain rides on. They did it to keep noise down. BS if you ask me. Planned failure more likely. Anyway, the nylon breaks apart and the chain has enough slack to jump a tooth or three. Thats what caused my timing to advance, til it completely failed. I was lucky it did it in the driveway.
So has this motor ever had a chain?

Get a can of carb cleaner and spray around the intake to head seal. If there is a leak you will notice an rpm change when it sucks in the carb cleaner.

Has the front of the motor ever been apart? I had a 318 in a scamp that had the timing advance 10 degrees out of nowhere on me. I was driving home from work when it did it. The next day i set the timing back. A few days after that, when trying to go to work, it wouldnt start. The cam gear has nylon over the teeth that the timing chain rides on. They did it to keep noise down. BS if you ask me. Planned failure more likely. Anyway, the nylon breaks apart and the chain has enough slack to jump a tooth or three. Thats what caused my timing to advance, til it completely failed. I was lucky it did it in the driveway.
So has this motor ever had a chain?

Yeah It has a timing chain. I set it up, brand new I doubt it'll move. I have no idea how the distributor advanced so much over a small drive. I marked the spot where the timing is set now (at 12 initial). I'll drive it and see if it slides or moves at all. I have the bolt torqued down just enough so that i can move it with my hand.

I'm thinking it's a vacuum leak. I can see that yellow tint of the gas leak under the carb gasket on the bottom. Didn't think it as anything before.

Going to head to the auto store in the morning, pick up a rotor and a carb gasket and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks once again. I know I can be tough to understand at times!

Dostributor advance mechanism could be sticking.
Hopefully timing chain set took the no-oil situation OK!!
Get vacuum gauge while at parts store if you don't have one.

I hooked a vacuum gauge up and it would do about 15 during idle, I put it in gear and it would dro down to aroud 7-8. Reving it in neutral would bring me around 20. Before it was 25 +?

I checked it when i first got the car running. i'll head out there now and give her a look.

Order is fine, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Auto Transport Service
Back