• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical Fuel Pump Failure

terrywalker

Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
On my 1974 Charger 360 with Thermoquad carb. I installed a new stock mechanical fuel pump in April of this year, bought from a local parts store, after the previous new pump failed to pump. Ran the car several times using non-ethanol gas with the new pump. I went to start the engine today and no fuel. I have a hose hooked to the suction of the fuel pump and gas in a clear container so I could see if the fuel level went down as I cranked the engine. Failed. I put a funnel in the end of the hose and poured gas directly into suction of pump. Gas stayed in funnel during cranking. This is the second fuel pump this year. What are you guys using for mechanical fuel pumps now? Apparently the ones from Autozone don't hold up. Suggestions?
Terry W.

What brand was it? Try a different brand,go to Napa or You could ask in WTB for an original fuel pump. I have a Carter but I have a BB. Hope someone can help you out.

This was a dumb post... I was thinking Big Block. OP is talking small block..

Last edited:
Check the fuel pump push rod length... Just a thought I bet its worn down.
That one will be worn out of existence lol.
Could be a shitty eccentric though.

Check your oil for gas. If the diaphram ruptured, you may have gas mixed into your oil. I had it happen on a 318 once.

I skipped one check before I pulled the fuel pump. The fuel pump checked good outside the car. Pumps fine. I had my wife crank the engine while I watched the eccentric using a mirror. All good there. I reinstalled the Delphi fuel pump and put suction line in clear container of fuel. Pumped half of a pint and stopped. I saw no fuel in carb. Then I remembered this is the carb with new floats and needle/seat that I had never used before. Cracked fuel inlet line to carb and fuel sprayed out of fitting. Needle is stuck on seat apparently. My bad.
I'll swap the carb and troubleshoot this one. Oh well..
Terry W.

I skipped one check before I pulled the fuel pump. The fuel pump checked good outside the car. Pumps fine. I had my wife crank the engine while I watched the eccentric using a mirror. All good there. I reinstalled the Delphi fuel pump and put suction line in clear container of fuel. Pumped half of a pint and stopped. I saw no fuel in carb. Then I remembered this is the carb with new floats and needle/seat that I had never used before. Cracked fuel inlet line to carb and fuel sprayed out of fitting. Needle is stuck on seat apparently. My bad.
I'll swap the carb and troubleshoot this one. Oh well..
Terry W.
At least your getting closer to fixing it. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back