• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mecum

The prices are good for the sellers but better for Mecum as they get a percentage from both buyer and seller.

I have several close friends who frequent the MECUM events and are buyers. We all choose to spend our money based upon how much we have. If you don't have it, you can't play. It doesn't behoove anyone to make comments belittling those who have done better than others, and there is always someone who has done better (unless your name is Jeff Bezos). Hat's off to the guys who can raise their tag and bid.

In regards to MECUM, they always win. It is 10% in and 10% out. So a car bid to $100k costs the buyer $110k and the seller gets $90k. When you see the auction pause (usually BIG $ cars), these are the numbers being negotiated between the 3 parties if the car is close to the reserve. If the "Bid Goes On", MECUM isn't getting paid other than the fee you have upfront. They always want to get the deal done. Just think about the amount of staff they have there for this event not to mention the facilities. They put on a hell of a show. I try to attend whenever possible.

Time for another cup of coffee!

D

It's probably a good thing that I don't have the cash to bid at one of these auctions. I would be that guy that wants to drive that 2000 mile original survivor hemi car home. With burnouts on my mind.
:thumbsup:

Couple of pretty outstanding B-Bodies that went across the auction block yesterday. Hemi Road Runner went for $192K - that's pretty substantial and I believe shows some upward trend in how much those cars are going for now. Historically those Hemi Road Runners have been in the $150K range. They also had a very nice 69 A12 Road Runner that sold for $110K (I think). That's definitely an upward trend for that car. That's great for the car market, bad for those of us trying to afford these cars.

That being said, I wouldn't begrudge anyone for having the money to buy one of these cars. Hell, I would happily slap down the money for that Hemi Road Runner or A12 if I had the cash.

I look at watching these car auctions as Car ****! Drooling and not being able to participate.

I see a bunch of dipshits with more Money then Brains.
upload_2022-1-15_9-15-49.gif

I pointed out to my wife that a black '68 Hemi GTX went for $181,500. Before the auction she was okay with what I paid for my green one. Now she is thrilled.

I believe you can actually get some good deals at auctions if the conditions are right. Sure, there are plenty of examples of two rich guys battling for the same car and paying stupid money for it just because they want THAT one. But I also think there are some examples where very decent cars sell for under market prices. If you bid on a car that doesn't have a lot of competition then you can walk away with a bargain. If there are 9 people there that really want Road Runners and 10 Road Runners, that 10th one may be a bargain. It will likely be a 383 automatic, but hey, if you are flexible, I think there are some deals to be had.

I believe you can actually get some good deals at auctions if the conditions are right. Sure, there are plenty of examples of two rich guys battling for the same car and paying stupid money for it just because they want THAT one. But I also think there are some examples where very decent cars sell for under market prices. If you bid on a car that doesn't have a lot of competition then you can walk away with a bargain. If there are 9 people there that really want Road Runners and 10 Road Runners, that 10th one may be a bargain. It will likely be a 383 automatic, but hey, if you are flexible, I think there are some deals to be had.
As a GTX guy, I've watched a lot of good opportunities for nice 440 automatics over the years, '68s in particular.

I was amazed by some of the "pedestrian" stuff that was bringing stupid money. A 1982 Bronco, unrestored...eighty grand????? And a Corvette Gran Sport replica used in the F&F movie, documented as a "jump car" - pure visual, looked like a life-size RC car, jacked up, hollow fenders...went for $90,000.

With an air cooled VW 4 cylinder motor.

There is a old car store north of here that buys a lot if cars from Mecum. The early week cars can be quite reasonable.

The early week cars can be quite reasonable.
Yes, The Wednesday-Thursday cars can be a good buy.Heavy hitters fly in for the Friday-Saturday let's see who has the biggest D!&k event.
Sunday most money is gone unless a seller of a nice car gets stuck with a Sunday afternoon-evening block crossing.
The I gotta have it/get it for a good price guys stay for Sunday.

Some of those "dipshits" are our friends, one of mine bought Wellborn's Petty Blue Bird for $285K + 10% .

I know that car well. A friend of mine used to own it. Sold it to Harrold Sullivan,many years ago

Ive driven it a bunch. Miles on it aren't quite 100% accurate,,,but close

Same car,,,,,,,,nearly 30 years ago

20220116_095245.jpg 20220116_095324.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back