• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Milodon oil pan

Turbobus

Local time
6:26 PM
Reaction score
Just an FYI, the Milodon pan listed for a 73/74 charger big block on Classic Industries site will not fit. When installing the engine you might think the motor mounts may be a little snug but you can get the motor mount bolts in. You will find out later that the front part of the oil pan is hitting the Back part of the K member. The problem is that where the oil pan begins its transition to the deeper part of the sump, the correct pan is almost a 90 deg transition to clear the more square K member of a 73/74 car, The Milodon pan is angled somewhere around 60 degrees, plus it’s not flat. Once the engine is wedged in, the damage is done! Not very happy with classic, explained the problem and all they would say is” it’s damaged, we can’t take it back” Well, all I can say is you shouldn’t advertise that it fits a 73/74 charger! I’ve spent over 14k with them in the last 2 years !!!! They kind of made it right for me, they gave me some extra discounts, but that doesn’t make it any better for people who ordered that pan and expect it to fit.

Have you tried contacting Milodon? Not sure but they may be able to help.

I doubt its Classic's fault, they're just saying what the manufacturers tell them as far as what fits what.

I see a few "Stock Replacement" pans listed in my Milodon catalog to fit B/E Body 66-74. I pretty sure Milodon has done this and few times, and know what they are doing. Did you confirm that the motor mount brackets are bolted to the correct side of the engine block ears?

Yeah, Milodon says that their Road/Race 7 quart pan fits our car as well without modifications. It doesn't. Steering link hits the right side of the pan and the metal bracing that the motor mounts attach to on the K-frame need to be trimmed.

I see a few "Stock Replacement" pans listed in my Milodon catalog to fit B/E Body 66-74. I pretty sure Milodon has done this and few times, and know what they are doing. Did you confirm that the motor mount brackets are bolted to the correct side of the engine block ears?
Yes, motor mounts are on correct side of ears. Used my old pan and it fits perfectly. Please keep in mind the 73 and later K members are completely different. This pan will definitely fit up to 72. Not getting into whether a company knows or doesn’t know their stuff, not going down that rabbit hole. I will refrain from posting what I perceived as possibly helpful to someone, to save them the headache that I endured. There is also heater core issues but ill let you find that out for yourself.

Yes, motor mounts are on correct side of ears. Used my old pan and it fits perfectly. Please keep in mind the 73 and later K members are completely different. This pan will definitely fit up to 72. Not getting into whether a company knows or doesn’t know their stuff, not going down that rabbit hole. I will refrain from posting what I perceived as possibly helpful to someone, to save them the headache that I endured. There is also heater core issues but ill let you find that out for yourself.
That's fine, just because the catalog says it fits, doesn't always means it does... When we are trying to help people out, we usually try to cover all bases, so don't get upset when someone questions you. We are brainstorming, and are not there with you. Also, don't stop posting things because, most things can help others.

That's fine, just because the catalog says it fits, doesn't always means it does... When we are trying to help people out, we usually try to cover all bases, so don't get upset when someone questions you. We are brainstorming, and are not there with you. Also, don't stop posting things because, most things can help others.
I understand the part about the motor mounts and that was a valid concern, mine have a sleeve welded in so they can’t be put in wrong, but again a valid concern. I just remember the sick feeling of having to lift the engine and redoing all that work, hard for aN old fat guy with bad knees and no lift!
The statement about the company just got under my skin. Water under the bridge.

This is the one I am using in my 73 Charger. I had some fitment issues too. I had to adjust the spools in the engine mounts to set the engine toward the rear as much as possible. Then I had to grind a little on the steering center link to keep it from touching the pan at full right turn. I considered these modifications normal when making non stock parts fit together. So yes it does fit the 73 K frame, with some work.

milodon-street-and-strip-oil-pan-212.jpg

This is the one I am using in my 73 Charger. I had some fitment issues too. I had to adjust the spools in the engine mounts to set the engine toward the rear as much as possible. Then I had to grind a little on the steering center link to keep it from touching the pan at full right turn. I considered these modifications normal when making non stock parts fit together. So yes it does fit the 73 K frame, with some work.

View attachment 991200
I see where that would work with a little massaging! Mine was a lost cause! Guess I could’ve dented it in here and there but heck, thats why I got a new pan, so it wouldn’t have dents. Took my time, removed baffles and hammered out the dents, welded baffles in and installed,, walla!

Same old story of after market part's. Yes we don't find out their are problems till we try to use those part's. Sorry for your luck. I have been down these road's my self and been disappointed with what the supply company's claim. Hope you get it worked out.

Not to beat you up, could happen to anyone, but never ever buy from Classic what you can buy from Summit or even Jeg's. Classic has their place for certain things, but regular aftermarket performance stuff will always be a better deal from a Summit and the customer service is 1000% better in the event you need it. Again, apologies, I know it doesn't help you now, but maybe next time.
On a side note, Milodon's putting out their fair share of **** nowadays. Like any aftermarket part anymore you have to check them carefully. Twice in the last 5 years I've gotten pans that had microscopic pinhole leaks where the baffles were welded to the the pan. Sucks to find an oil weep after it's in the car. The second one I filled with oil on the bench, found a leak after it sat for a day, and Summit took it back and sent me a good one no questions asked.

View attachment 991200
Yes, that pan will fit, but that's not the pan I have/ had. From the front of The Milodon pan, the vertical transition begins at about 3-1/2”, stock pan begins it’s transition at 4-1/2” and it is a 90deg transition. Took all the up vertical slack from the motor mount to K member and motor mount to engine it was still hitting, thought about moving engine back but getting close to firewall. Just best to put stock pan back on. I tried everything I knew to do, been doing this kind of work for 45 years heck I built, at that time, the only known turbocharged, efi, a/c’d VW bus in the US. No kit, just my fabrication. So I’ve been around a wrench and welder.

Not to beat you up, could happen to anyone, but never ever buy from Classic what you can buy from Summit or even Jeg's. Classic has their place for certain things, but regular aftermarket performance stuff will always be a better deal from a Summit and the customer service is 1000% better in the event you need it. Again, apologies, I know it doesn't help you now, but maybe next time.
On a side note, Milodon's putting out their fair share of **** nowadays. Like any aftermarket part anymore you have to check them carefully. Twice in the last 5 years I've gotten pans that had microscopic pinhole leaks where the baffles were welded to the the pan. Sucks to find an oil weep after it's in the car. The second one I filled with oil on the bench, found a leak after it sat for a day, and Summit took it back and sent me a good one no questions asked.
Thanks, I needed that! Not kidding. Felt a little beat up about saying a Milodon part wouldn’t fit! I do agree with your outlook on some vendors. Classic wouldn’t take it back but they did take care of me though.
This whole thing started because I didn’t want it to happen to someone else, The road to hell was paved with good intentions!

Same old story of after market part's. Yes we don't find out their are problems till we try to use those part's. Sorry for your luck. I have been down these road's my self and been disappointed with what the supply company's claim. Hope you get it worked out.
Thanks! Yes I do, reused factory pan.

Yes it’s good to know mediocrity is alive and well!

Auto Transport Service
Back