• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mini Starter Doesn’t Fit

I used the NAPA 1083 on my 440 in a 67 R/T. Fit very well.

Yep I use Dakota starters on everything. Just installed one on my 78 D100 today. I've used them on several Hemis.
A Dakota starter WILL NOT fit a 440 with TTI step headers, it is too large in diameter.

A Dakota starter WILL NOT fit a 440 with TTI step headers, it is too large in diameter.
I may have posted this, but a very experienced Mopar big block racer AND parts store employee told me to run the Dakota starter in my 70 Roadrunner 440. It's been so long ago, I don't remember the problem(s) I had but I can definitely say the one I bought wouldn't fit or work, no way possible.
I got a red powder coated MSD branded starter and it fits great, no beating on anything, and I have TTi 1⅞" headers.
The only issue that is challenging, which one of those angled wire post adapters may help, is connecting the wires up after the starter is mounted. It was hard to get to.
Starter has been 100% flawless, and my 6BBL always takes a little longer to get fuel to the carbs than 4bbl carbs, and I have no problem.
On that note, the starter does turn the engine over at a good speed and never strains.
MSD Ignition 5098 MSD DynaForce Starters | Summit Racing

It's been over a dozen years and more than one 440 - with the same ill-fitting Hedman headers that I literally had
to beat a little clearance into - but the same old parts store rebuilt Dakota (Nippondenso) starter still does the job
without protest on Fred.
Regardless of long crank times when the car has sat a while to get gas back up to the carb, this starter hasn't
missed a beat - but no worries if it ever does, as I've still got the receipt for the lifetime warranty.
They still sell 'em for less than $90 at your local box parts store.
A no-brainer, least to me.

I may have posted this, but a very experienced Mopar big block racer AND parts store employee told me to run the Dakota starter in my 70 Roadrunner 440. It's been so long ago, I don't remember the problem(s) I had but I can definitely say the one I bought wouldn't fit or work, no way possible.
I got a red powder coated MSD branded starter and it fits great, no beating on anything, and I have TTi 1⅞" headers.
The only issue that is challenging, which one of those angled wire post adapters may help, is connecting the wires up after the starter is mounted. It was hard to get to.
Starter has been 100% flawless, and my 6BBL always takes a little longer to get fuel to the carbs than 4bbl carbs, and I have no problem.
On that note, the starter does turn the engine over at a good speed and never strains.
MSD Ignition 5098 MSD DynaForce Starters | Summit Racing

After trying both the mid 90s Dakota starter and 5.7 Hemi starter with no success my Cousin ordered a Powermaster 9523 along with a set of Remflex header gaskets. The Remflexes are 125 thou thick however have a 50% crush so hopefully they won't crush the entire 50%. The old starter was a RobbMc and had doubled up TTI gaskets are which are 1/16th of an inch thick which I believe works out to 60 thou.

Auto Transport Service
Back