• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mini starter

I would guess not since it says "Maximum torque with 4:1 'Denso' Gear Reduction Design."

I thought this was cover long aqgo in this post. A mini starter can be purchased from 44 Source for approximately $70.00 and will work as well as any other mini starter. I have there units on both my Hemi and my 440 six pack both of which are high compression engines (11.0-1 or higher.)

Hey guys, I need a recommendation. My 40 year old starter is finally getting a bit slow. I want to go to a mini starter but am not sure what brand would be best. I'm not looking for a real high end piece and compression is stock. I just need the brand that will give me dependable service.
Ron

Sorry, I thought I had aswerered the original poster's question above.

I didn't realize that there was a sub-thread going on regarding original parts vs. what he asked about.

Denso are not origional parts, you would have discovered that in your research.:grin:

IF THE PRICE IS TO HIGH HE HAS THE CHOICE. The best or one of the rest....:tongueflap:

Originally Posted by ronlyn426
Hey guys, I need a recommendation. My 40 year old starter is finally getting a bit slow. I want to go to a mini starter but am not sure what brand would be best. I'm not looking for a real high end piece and compression is stock. I just need the brand that will give me dependable service.
Ron

I was not doing research on these starters. I was simply giving my recommendation on the starter I have used in two different applications that I thought answered the original poster's question (above) pretty well based on how he posed it.
I have never use the starter you are suggesting, but have never had any problems with any of the three 440 Source mini starters I currently have. I can'T say if your recommendation is the BEST or not. What makes you believe your choice is the BEST?

We are running 3 of them with headers, that doesen't mean they will work with all headers, some may have a goofey design lol

Dane

Wull....they're headers. A goofy design is pretty much assured....isn't it??:edgy:

"What makes you believe your choice is the BEST?"

When people clone or make knock offs of their designs, is a good starter...

Industry mean time between failure is a good ranking method. Currently and constantly ranked #1 top.....

Lifetime warrantys.......anytime, anywhere just send in for replacment.... (just like all the premium parts I get from this supplier...)

I also like the fact that they (Nippon-Denso USA) are located and manufactured in NV USA.

Fair enough.

omg-you people need to spend more time in your garages and less time in front of your computers. life's too short-stop jawing and get to work on your rides.

Um, isn't Nippon-Denso a Japanese manufacturer? Wether it is "made" in the USA or not, where are the primary pieces made and where do the dollars ultimately go?
Oh, and the Denso starters that I am using I got from Kragen for sixty bucks. They are the same rebuilder number as the Mopar Performance starter. (Which is a Denso)

I'm just saying.

Rev.

Doh' How did I know someone was going to ask that.
I'll dig up the number and post it here. I think it's a 1766N, but I could be wrong. I'll find the number....

Rev.

I have a starter on my '66 Satellite with a 12.5:1 440, that I purchased from Dodge as a replacement starter that fits the '94 thru whatever Dodge pickups that fits (little tight on the terminals, but fits with no modifications), with my TTI headers, turns the engine over perfectly, and only cost me $75. Of course, that was "at cost", but I've been using it for 8 years and never fails to turn my 12.5:1 engine over. I've seen them at Kragen for as low as $64.99. I would be comfortable with one of those rebuilt cheapies. They aren't hard to rebuild, it's just personal preference. My next one will probably be a junk yard special I rebuild myself. Please, everyone just go buy a starter and quit fighting over NOTHING!!

Uuumm.....dude? Did you notice the date on the last post in this thread? It was over a year and a half ago

I noticed, but you never know when someone else thinks they need to put their 2 cents (complaint) in. Anyway, you replied, so it must not be dead after all, Admin or not. My 2 cents will hopefully help someone actually wanting it later on.

I replied cause any time a thread is replied to, it comes back to the top. As Admin I check up on everything going on to make sure everyone is playing nice, and spam is kept out.

And I replied because sometimes people (especially new folk) may not notice the dates on the threads they're responding to.

Ah ha! And someone in need!

Keeper, try Powermaster, MSD, Proform, Summit Racing, TCI, Tilton Engineering, Meziere, Tuff Stuff Performance, CSR, and of course Mopar Performance. Some of them sell the non adjustable (can't index the housing) type and some do for really odd or tight fitting headers.

That's where mine came from and I've been using it for over 10 years now. I believe it was pulled from a 318 Dakota. I know I took a chance with a used starter but it has worked out for me. Be your own judge!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back