• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Minnesota Gold

Sunday was fun day. I finally got to the point where we fired up the Gold. Couple issues with the ignition not getting power and put a call into Cranky for second opinion. One new ignition switch later and we had juice to the coil ect....and as bonus.....the emergency park brake light decided to come to life as well. Those two items must be on the same circuit. Got a nice backfire to remind me that going 180 is not just a skater term, and one dizzy flip later.....ignition! Throttle linkage still needs adjustment, as it was over revving, so I just popped it off. It ran pretty smooth....just a small rattle coming from the drivers side of the motor....going to pull the valve cover on that side this morning to make sure nothing odd is going on there. The only other issue thus far is the A/C compressor pulley assembly is getting warm.....it should just free wheel as the bearings seemed fine when I reinstalled it.....but I may replace it.

I smell some pics coming to the "Where did you and your car go today" thread real soon.

The Gold is getting a ride from a Chevy. Going in for a proper tune and transmission check out

32B8EBF6-A6FA-496A-929E-784AA776F7E7.jpeg 5ACF022F-EE16-4E91-8E0C-94D5481748E6.jpeg

727 shield bolts

3/4 total length 1/2 just the shaft

1B126914-8516-4A19-A149-12B93546366A.jpeg

What year 1960's pickup is that? Spent a good bit of time in my dad's 65 and drove it quit a bit once I got my license. Found it pretty fast that you can't shift them quickly lol

Gold is getting its tweeks via the rod shop and I scored this for future tuning

68859190-2EA9-40F2-B2C5-81CF2EF7DF05.jpeg B57AAACB-CBC4-4AAA-9FD0-50C54C6EFDD5.jpeg 490DEECB-ED9D-4F7E-B3CB-60A65D4CE046.jpeg

......so......when last I updated the car it was with a local mechanic to resolve a few small issues and while it was there I had him throw it up on the rack and adjust a few things and replace a few seals and rebuild the steering gear. Ouch.....now I know why I do most of my own work.

Now I have the car back, and still a tapping in the front of the motor. I'm going to need to pull the timing cover off and investigate that...as the noise seems to be the front.

Oh lord.....this is getting annoying.

2 years and a week and a wake up. The MN Gold is running and driving. Took her out last night for a shake down and all went very well. Blew the acc fuse, but will figure that out this morning. After initial break in, and some tuning and other fun, I got a smooth idle out of her and the transmission shits well 1st and second. I'll get her up to higher speeds once the alignment is completed next week.

No pics in the "where did you go..." thread?

C'mon, man...

You're killin' me here...

What did the trans do again?

No pics in the "where did you go..." thread?

C'mon, man...

You're killin' me here...

What did the trans do again?

So the transmission woke up pretty well do far. Ran it in idle for about 5 min getting fluid back in.....reads normal level now. Took some time to make sure all air got out.....now it shift very well so far. Not really got on it at all yet. Letting the car feel its way back to the living. Listening for noises and weird stuff. My neighbor and I took it out for a small spin around the block and it seem to shift fine......more of a kick down linkage adjustment possible in the future.

Dash lights went out too, and the accessory lights. they pull from the light circuit and ignition.....so I guess I need to dig back into that.....but all in all.....a great first run.

Just ribbin' ya.

Ya might want to check your spelling in that next to last sentence.

The word is technically spelled correctly, but......

Gold made it to the gas station for the first time today since Carter was persistent!

FD47830C-A3A4-49BA-B32D-4A697A9B7A4C.jpeg

Filled her up , but noticed a leak when I got home at the sending unit seal. Drained 5 gal out and will see if it’s loose or if I got the o ring seal goofy

YAU!

What's the deal with that sign?

Is it a new tank/sending unit/seal?

Not sure if you are aware, but the lock rings that come with new tanks are thinner, easily bent junk.

Also, the seals are not good quality, either. Mine didn't last 2 years
I replaced my seal with a red toilet flush valve seal from Lowes.
MUCH better quality.

Well, Gas leak issue was pretty straight forward. Putting the gasket seal on the wrong side of the sending unit....(wtf) was pretty clear. Getting the sending unit out and getting it figured out was not hard. Just FYI, no need to remove the tank on this issue or sending unit calibration. Just get the car off the ground so that you can center yourself under the rear diff and then back the retaining ring off, and carefully pull the sending unit out while rotating it clockwise. The float may required you to push it down slightly to get her out.....but it will come out fine. Getting the ring back on can be a bugger, but if you grind the ring edges down a bit (like a nice slope edge) and press with a little force, you can get it started enough to use the special wrench to get her snug. No leaks so far, and that's with the standard OEM brand name seal.

.....ok, slight update. Locking ring is a bigger pain in the *** than expected. The fact that one needs to rotate it clockwise until is locks on the indents slipped my mind.....until it leaked like a sieve. Needless to say I got it on there correctly in-car, but needed a few more steps.

1. Hammer
2. Dull chisel.

DD0B5E92-AAAC-4CD8-B094-860D27BB2463.jpeg

See a lot of posts on linkage configuration on 67/68 383 cars . Let me drop a few pics of my stock set up

F59D5978-1E89-482B-8BBC-BF90C1AC9482.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back