• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Model maker goofed

Mike Szadaj

Local time
4:29 AM
Reaction score
I have been waiting quite a few years for one of the model manufactures to re-issue a 1968 Coronet RT kit. I came across this one the other day, although I am a little disappointed that it is a convertible. I am going to try and paint it close to the color of my car. That seems to be a bit of a problem as bronze doesn’t seem to be a very popular color in a spray can. I may end up buying brush paint and shooting it through an airbrush. Whoever put together the sheet of decals didn’t do their homework. If you look at the butt stripe decals, they are all for a Super Bee. I wonder if anyone has complained about that to the manufacturer. If you look at the stripe on the car on the front of the box, it is correct.

IMG_2852.jpeg

IMG_2853.jpeg

Coincidentally, I just finished this model yesterday. On the issue of the stripes; if you look, the side stripes are longer than they need to be. Just cut the stripe off just below the SuperBee roundel, and you still have enough for the plain R/T stripe. If you need the SuperBee stripe, you do the opposite, trimming some of the plain part off. Put the side stripes on first, just ahead of the round side marker light. Then put the top stripe on, overlapping the side ones. Be sure to line up the individual stripes carefully.
This kit is a straight reproduction of the 1968 piece, including the rather basic chassis pan. I added a bit more detail by using the chassis from the 1970 Coronet kit. I also switched powertrain to Hemi, 4-speed. I added Red line tires to Magnum 500's for it.
I made my own dark bronze colour by spraying Tamiya TS-92 Metallic Orange over Tamiya TS-42 Light Gun Metal base. You could likely get it lighter by spraying over a Silver base. Then, I sprayed Tamiya TS-13 Clear over top. Testors also makes a colour I think is called Orange Fire Metallic, that I shot over Silver base to make a nice bronze colour. Testors paints are getting hard to find in my area, now. I like Tamiya paints better, as they are easier to apply, and seem to have longer shelf life. When I am experimenting with paint colours, I use those white plastic picnic spoons for my spray-outs. That way, you can see how the paint applies over curves.
Clear plastic windshields are hard to glue in place without marring them with plastic cement. For this, I use LePages 100% Repair Gel in a red tube with black cap. It dries clear, and if some of does get on a surface where you don't want it, you can simply peel it off with tweezers with no damage.
I will try to post picture of my completed '68 Coronet. Word is, the 1968 R/T hardtop model is to be out soon. The Super Bee part of the decal stripes leads me to think there may be one of these coming, too.

Could try here for the exterior color in a spray can. I bought paint for the Newport in Tuscan bronze and it was a damn good match.

Here is my completed 1968 Coronet R/T model, Mike.

DSCF0047.JPG

DSCF0046.JPG

Last edited:
The '68 HT is coming mid-year, supposedly new tooling.
MCW and Scale Finishes both have lacquer for air brush use, in pretty much any factory or other color you want.
For windows and a lot of other stuff, Evergreen's Canopy Glue is a godsend.
A good model-making forum/site is Mopars In Scale.

Looks great. The color looks like my RT. My car came from the factory triple black. When restoring it I wanted to change the color, but to one that was available on a 68 Coronet. Why did you do your model in bronze?
I saw a real one at MoparFest in New Hamburg, Ontario last summer in that colour and liked it.

I have gone to automotive paint stores, and not all do this. But they looked up the paint code for a 60' Chevy, and they mixed up enamel for me and put it in a spray can. I think it ran me twenty dollars. You can also by a spray can you fill and charge yourself, with compressed air. Found it on eBay.

Auto Transport Service
Back